DIY CO2 and canister filter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 5 DIY containers running in my tank....2 hagen ladder type, which i don't mind having in the tank, and 3 others which are diffused through powerheads and a large bell type diffusor.

I would like to move the three non hagen types to diffuse into the canister filter.

My filter is an Eheim Ecco.

So I am thinking....I want to create some kind of inline reaction chamber, and connect it between two sections of hose. Would i want this in the input to the filter or the output to the tank? Any other suggestions? This is actually going to end up being the same way I will diffuse my pressurized CO2 when i get it, rather than diffusing directly into the tank. Is there a benefit to the CO2 going into the filter before the tank? Or Into the tank directly from the filter output?

If the ecco is anything like the classic, just T them together and run one line into the inlet basket. Let the impellor chop the bubbles.

That is similar to what i want to do. but should that go in the inlet to the canister or the outflow back to the tank?

I originally thought they go on the outflow, but after looking at a couple more sites, I think it could go on the intake as well. General consensus I have read is that on the outflow you ensure no gunk gets into the reactor (which could cause a clog), but you may lose water flow as a result. Here's another site with the same basic idea:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...5963-wet-thumb-forum-external-inline-co2.html

I'm not familiar with CO2 injection, but you really shouldn't have an impeller touching air at all. It's best to have it completely submerged and not touching anything but water. It's the same with commercial water circulators.

As FMJnaX stated an inline reactor can go on the input or output of your filter. It really depends on what ends up working best with your particular filter and whether you would rather clean the reactor occationally or deal with less flow in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom