DIY Co2 and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khalloda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am using DIY CO2 also.
Before:
PH = 7.4, KH = 130ppm/7.28dKH
After 2 hours:
PH = 6.8, KH = 140ppm/7.84dKH

Is this normal???
If not, what do I do?

I wouldn't think so the ph levels need to stay constant for any fish to be happy

But I would research how to keep cosant ph levels I'm not shure but I thnk driftwood might help a bit

Carbon is an acid, adding that to your water will decrease the ph. Its normal to happen.

Totally normal, and a sign that your DIY CO2 was successful. The pH drop is fine, but there is still a risk of gassing your fish if CO2 concentration gets too high. You might not want pH to drop any further depending on what concentration of CO2 you're aiming for. A drop checker would be useful.

Thanks all for your replies. I understand now - from your reply- that every thing is normal and I don't have to do anything as long as my CO2 concentration is the same in lights on time, right?

Thanks all for your replies. I understand now - from your reply- that every thing is normal and I don't have to do anything as long as my CO2 concentration is the same in lights on time, right?

Really, DIY CO2 isn't going to be consistent no matter what. It's better than no CO2 at all, but the concentration will fluctuate. All you can do is try to adjust the bubble count accordingly by adding more/less yeast, then use the same amount of yeast and sugar every time to keep it as consistent as possible. Using two bottles staggered is better- when one bottle starts to slow down, the other is still going strong, keeping the concentration from dropping too much.

Back
Top Bottom