DIY Co2 and the water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badbart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my first planted tank about a month ago. It’s a 20 gallon, DIY Co2, Eco-Complete substrate, Aqua Clear 20 filter, a 55 watt 10,000k bulb and set up from AHS Lighting, one Java Fern, one Banana plant and two Frazeri’s and 12 small fish. I getting bout 3 bubbles ever 2 seconds from my Co2. During the day I see a lot of bubbles coming off the plants and my questions is would it be ok to turn off the filter when the light is on? Do I run a danger of depleting the oxygen? I will be adding more plants soon.

No those are O2 bubbles youll be fine to turn the filter off as far as o2 goes. Is there a reason you want the filter off just wondering?

No those are O2 bubbles youll be fine to turn the filter off as far as o2 goes. Is there a reason you want the filter off just wondering?

Keep the top of the water still let the Co2 dissolve. Maybe its over kill if my plants are making o2 with my filter on.

I guess my HOB is just quiet. Yes your right the HOB can gas off the co2 but really as long as the water isnt "falling" very far from the out put. Some surface agitation like a swirling motion is ok what you want to avoid is chopping the water or the water falling so far it splashes a little. I succesfuly run my HOB and still maintain my co2 levels you just have to keep the water lever near the output level. HTH

I set up my first planted tank about a month ago. It’s a 20 gallon, DIY Co2, Eco-Complete substrate, Aqua Clear 20 filter, a 55 watt 10,000k bulb and set up from AHS Lighting, one Java Fern, one Banana plant and two Frazeri’s and 12 small fish. I getting bout 3 bubbles ever 2 seconds from my Co2. During the day I see a lot of bubbles coming off the plants and my questions is would it be ok to turn off the filter when the light is on? Do I run a danger of depleting the oxygen? I will be adding more plants soon.
I think those are just the bubbles from water from such water filter...

I have an update, I was getting really good co2 readings my ph droped from 7.6 to 6.6 after I added a second bottle. But now my fish have a bacterial infection and I've been adding antibiotics to the aquarium and the PH has risen back to 7.6. I'm still using two bottle for the co2 but I've also changed the filter to an intank filter Whisper 20 In Tank Filter Whisper 20 In Tank Filter - A Black Horse.com, Inc. I The filter is not creating much disturbance tat the top of the water so I'm confounded as to why the PH has risen.

Back
Top Bottom