DIY CO2: Diffusor Possibilities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishfarm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I am planning a DIY CO2 system that would ultimately output the CO2 directly into the water intake tube of my H.O.T. power filter via an airstone. Has anyone done this, and if so, does it do a good job getting CO2 absorbed into the system? Is there anything that I should be aware of in advance? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

If you mean you are running the bubbles through your filter, then yes, it will really do a wonderful job of getting the most CO2 in the water for your bubble (so to speak!).

The downside is that over time the CO2 concentration can damage the impeller of your filter, but it might not be such a big deal depending upon what kind of filter it is (H.O.T. Magnum, or another kind?).

I am sure you are aware, but it is a knee-jerk reaction on my part to make sure you know the KH of your water before you inject CO2. Forgive me! :lol:

CO2

I just drilled a small hole in the intake tube far enough down so you can use it as a bubble counter (small clear tube attached). It works great. I think that there is a fast enough flow of water past the impeller, the damage is low.

I injected through an AquaClear 300 for years with no damage to the impeller at all. HOBs are a bit noisy, as you can hear the bubbles being smashed by the impeller.
If you use a HOB, put a piece of filter sponge over the lower lip of the return to do away with the surface turbulence, inherent with HOBs.

Len

Back
Top Bottom