Diy co2 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, started diy co2 yesterday an i am not getting any bubbles! Im using the recipe
2 cups of sugar
1/4 tbsp yeast
1/2 tbsp baking soda
Up to 3/4 of the container water

What did i do wrong?

When I've made DIY co2 before I used warm water.

Did you use warm water?

Jon

I added the sugar to warm water so it would dissolve, then once it cooled to roomtemp i added the yeast and baking soda..wrong?

Whenever I have made it I always added sugar to warm water, shake, yeast to the sugar water mix while warm, shake. Wait for fermentation to start then close lid and attach to bubbler etc.

The yeast needs warm water to activate.

That's my understanding at least.

Jon

jondamon said:
Whenever I have made it I always added sugar to warm water, shake, yeast to the sugar water mix while warm, shake. Wait for fermentation to start then close lid and attach to bubbler etc.

The yeast needs warm water to activate.

That's my understanding at least.

Jon

Should i maybe try that today?

Depends how soon you want co2?

If you still have your old mix, you could try adding some more sugar with boiling water to activate it.

Or just start from scratch again.

Jon

jondamon said:
Depends how soon you want co2?

If you still have your old mix, you could try adding some more sugar with boiling water to activate it.

Or just start from scratch again.

Jon

Ok, i might just go from scratch again:) thanks!

Could you post your recipe?

Gboy66 said:
How would i tell really?

Soapy water and a spray bottle. Cap the output line and spray onto any suspect area and watch for bubbles. Keep the soapy water out of the aquarium of course.

My recipe was for a 2 litre bottle

15g yeast
1 cup of sugar
1.25 litres warm water

Jon

Depending on how much chlorine you have you may need to add a couple drops of chlorine remover to your water before you add the yeast. Chlorine actually can kill some or even most of the yeast. Another way is to use water that's been in a jug for a few days allowing the chlorine to gas off. This is why bakeries use filtered water to bake. It doesn't happen with every water system but it's a good step to take for your next batch. I ended up using water from my RO when I used to do DIY. Look up yeast and chlorine. Should bring up something.

CorallineAlgae said:
Depending on how much chlorine you have you may need to add a couple drops of chlorine remover to your water before you add the yeast. Chlorine actually can kill some or even most of the yeast. Another way is to use water that's been in a jug for a few days allowing the chlorine to gas off. This is why bakeries use filtered water to bake. It doesn't happen with every water system but it's a good step to take for your next batch. I ended up using water from my RO when I used to do DIY. Look up yeast and chlorine. Should bring up something.

Cool, i have an RO so i'll use that if i come home today and there still aret bubbles

Figured out i had a leek, and added more glue. Now i get bubbles..but still not enough. I have to shake the 2 liter and then i get alot..but then it slowly dies down to none

What I do for mine is I drill 5mm holes into the top of the lids of my bottles and squeeze my regular airline tubes through those lids and it's tight enough fit that it doesn't leak and I just screw the caps on tight. My recipe always works for me. I fill my 2ltr bottle up two thirds of the way with warm water but not over 100 degrees bc much higher will kill the yeast and if temp is too low then yeast won't activate. I go with what I find comfortable for showering. Once the warm water is in I immediately put 2 teaspoons of yeast in then shake it for 30 seconds. Then after that I immediately put in 2 cups of sugar and then shake for 1 minute. After that I just screw the cap on and let it do it's thing. After an hour I usually see alot of bubbles.

Wow...great recipe. Bubbles are goin every second.

Ok, different problem. I can hear the bubbles goin in my bubble counter, but cant actually see anything coming out through the chopstick-diffuser. Am i supposed to see anything at all? Or am i good?

Man..my plants really look terrible

It will need to build up enough pressure to force through the chopstick. Again, check for leaks.

blert said:
It will need to build up enough pressure to force through the chopstick. Again, check for leaks.

I dont see any and the water/soap isnt bubbling, so i think were good. When will it force thru?

Once it pushes the water out of the airline. But idk what your whole setup is. And thanks.

jkdubs2 said:
Once it pushes the water out of the airline. But idk what your whole setup is. And thanks.

Yup, it's got to push all the water out of the line first, give it some time.

Back
Top Bottom