Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY CO2 Questions

I'm just getting into CO2 and picked up a DIY kit from Amazon, bubble counter from tank lot purchase. My Ph is 7.5, KD is 5. I'm diffusing my CO2 through a small pump that does a good job at making the bubbles tiny. I'm currently doing 5bbs calculated from this website: https://aquariuminfo.org/co2calculator.html

I had a few more questions though. Can I fire the CO2 bubbles into the filter intake (Fluval 406)? Concern here is build up of air space in the filter possibly, but benefits of absorption. Secondly, I'm running the CO2 24/7 so I'll need to put my air pump on a timer to off-gas the CO2 at night, currently it runs 24/7, but I don't want it to be counter productive. I think this is correct from what I've been reading of the DIY kits.

Just like the next new thing, so much to learn and thankfully so many experienced people to learn from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20181010_191737_5061241377805622318.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	310699  

Old 10-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

DIY CO2 Questions

Do not use the filter for dissolving CO2. It works but it itís annoying, it can damage your bacteria population, itís not good for the filterís impeller / motor and there are better ways to dissolve CO2.

Maybe look into building a DIY CO2 reactor to go with your canister filter. They are easy to build and should cost $20 - $30 or less if you have some parts laying around the house.

What size is the tank? What method of DIY CO2 are you running?

I think it might be best to run it 24-7 but use an air stone for part of the night to help keep the way oxygenated. But Iíll reserve judgement until I can confirm you are actually able to run 5 bubbles per second or more.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the response. It is a 65 gallon tank. I shot a video where I give an overview of my tank and the CO2 system. I hope I get everything communicated correctly and with a little humor and fumbling.

https://youtu.be/1WJAGKD5Z8Q
Old 10-21-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The small pump should help break up distribute the DIY CO2 gas. Since it is situated in the lower part of the tank, this should help increase the dwell time for the very fine bubbles.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com