DIY CO2 Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savrip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just getting into CO2 and picked up a DIY kit from Amazon, bubble counter from tank lot purchase. My Ph is 7.5, KD is 5. I'm diffusing my CO2 through a small pump that does a good job at making the bubbles tiny. I'm currently doing 5bbs calculated from this website: https://aquariuminfo.org/co2calculator.html

I had a few more questions though. Can I fire the CO2 bubbles into the filter intake (Fluval 406)? Concern here is build up of air space in the filter possibly, but benefits of absorption. Secondly, I'm running the CO2 24/7 so I'll need to put my air pump on a timer to off-gas the CO2 at night, currently it runs 24/7, but I don't want it to be counter productive. I think this is correct from what I've been reading of the DIY kits.

Just like the next new thing, so much to learn and thankfully so many experienced people to learn from.

Attachments

• JPEG_20181010_191737_5061241377805622318.jpg
    JPEG_20181010_191737_5061241377805622318.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 87
Do not use the filter for dissolving CO2. It works but it it’s annoying, it can damage your bacteria population, it’s not good for the filter’s impeller / motor and there are better ways to dissolve CO2.

Maybe look into building a DIY CO2 reactor to go with your canister filter. They are easy to build and should cost $20 - $30 or less if you have some parts laying around the house.

What size is the tank? What method of DIY CO2 are you running?

I think it might be best to run it 24-7 but use an air stone for part of the night to help keep the way oxygenated. But I’ll reserve judgement until I can confirm you are actually able to run 5 bubbles per second or more.

Thanks for the response. It is a 65 gallon tank. I shot a video where I give an overview of my tank and the CO2 system. I hope I get everything communicated correctly and with a little humor and fumbling.

https://youtu.be/1WJAGKD5Z8Q

The small pump should help break up distribute the DIY CO2 gas. Since it is situated in the lower part of the tank, this should help increase the dwell time for the very fine bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom