DIY co2 vs pressurized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm not going to lie, after a couple hours of researching diy co2, it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

is it really worth it to go through that hassle every week?

I found on eBay where I could get the regulator, bubble counter, and diffuser for about $50 all together, am I missing something you would need to set up a pressurized system?

Any help is greatly appreciated as always

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A reliable pressurized system with a solenoid (trust me you want one) costs in excess of $200 at the low end. For a smaller tank (less than 30g) a DIY co2 system can be built for about $5.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a DIY co2 system. They work perfectly well and if you really look at it, the hassle of it breaks down into 5 minutes a week of work.

A reliable pressurized system with a solenoid (trust me you want one) costs in excess of $200 at the low end. For a smaller tank (less than 30g) a DIY co2 system can be built for about $5.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a DIY co2 system. They work perfectly well and if you really look at it, the hassle of it breaks down into 5 minutes a week of work.

I guess that makes sense, the videos I have been watching just made it seem almost like a needless hassle, but I guess there is no harm in trying the $5 way before dropping $200

I am having trouble figuring out how big of a bottle and how much yeast I would need though, some videos acted like 1L per 10g

Others said 2L works for everything and you just add more or less yeast?

I guess that makes sense, the videos I have been watching just made it seem almost like a needless hassle, but I guess there is no harm in trying the $5 way before dropping $200

I am having trouble figuring out how big of a bottle and how much yeast I would need though, some videos acted like 1L per 10g

Others said 2L works for everything and you just add more or less yeast?

Take a look at these videos. If I were to do DIY I would pick the second method over the first in a heart beat.

I'm tempted to make a DIY co2 system. But first I need to get better lighting.( b day or Christmas present if I'm lucky) anyway I will be following this thread closely.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Where was method #2 when I was doing DIY CO2? Ingenious! An actual DIY kit that you can shut off. No smelly yeast. 20 days per batch, adjustment flow rate, what's not to like. Definitely worth a try.

Where was method #2 when I was doing DIY CO2? Ingenious! An actual DIY kit that you can shut off. No smelly yeast. 20 days per batch, adjustment flow rate, what's not to like. Definitely worth a try.

I have seen kits for that method on eBay for 10-20 bucks, I think I'll have to give that a shot to appease the lazy in me

I know right!? It's awesome. I am thinking of doing that on my 29g hex

All I did was the normal DIY Co2 and it works perfectly for me. My mixture for a 500 ml bottle is a little less than one cup of sugar, about a tablespoonful of baking soda and 33/4 of a tablespoon of yeast. I fill with warm tap water and give it a good mix. To make sure that the yeast is warm and still making bubbles, I put the bottle in a tall vase filled with water. There is a heat pad stuck to the vase that heats the water. I've spent $0 on this setup. For a diffuser I use a cigarette filter, and I have to change it once a day. Pretty cheap, $2.50 for a pack of 100. Just make sure you have no leaks and that you know that it will mess with your water chemistry. I wouldn't use it with super sensitive fish as you never know how much is being made with normal DIY Co2, unless you add a bubble counter.

I actually ordered the diy co2 kit earlier this week and baking soda. All should be arriving tomorrow if not, Thursday. I'll work it all out and let you all know how it
goes.
P.S Not trying to hijack this thread or nothing, Just spreading some info and willing to help everyone with this experiment. :angel:

I actually ordered the diy co2 kit earlier this week and baking soda. All should be arriving tomorrow if not, Thursday. I'll work it all out and let you all know how it
goes.
P.S Not trying to hijack this thread or nothing, Just spreading some info and willing to help everyone with this experiment. :angel:

Sounds awesome, user reviews on this site are always much appreciated

Had the D501 kit for a few months, ended up leaving it for a paintball setup. It's nice, but with anything larger than 30G+ I recommend a paintball, or the full kit. @ 2-3bps I was filling it every 10 days (unless you remembered to shut it off at night). Plus if you didn't set it up right (any leak) it could/would suck all the acid into the baking soda bottle over night.

But I would run this kit if I had to DIY again over yeast, can't beat instant Co2.

Back
Top Bottom