DIY CO2 yeast disaster!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having a big problem with my small 10g tank. I setup a DIY CO2 reactor last night, and when I checked on the tank this morning, the whole thing was clouded up with yeast! So I have a few questions:

Should I move fish to a 5g bucket?
How long will it take to clear up with daily 50% water changes?
How do I dispose of the reactor?
How do I prevent this from happening again?

Please help!!

I'm having a big problem with my small 10g tank. I setup a DIY CO2 reactor last night, and when I checked on the tank this morning, the whole thing was clouded up with yeast! So I have a few questions:

Should I move fish to a 5g bucket?
How long will it take to clear up with daily 50% water changes?
How do I dispose of the reactor?
How do I prevent this from happening again?

Please help!!

You can do several 50% water changes per day to help clear up the water. It may take a few days. Fish can stay in the tank.
You can rinse the reactor in hot water and use it again.
Did you have a yeast trap setup between the reactor and the tank? This is basically an extra bottle filled with water. The tubing that comes from the reactor extends down below the water line. The tubing that leads from the yeast trap to the tank is a above the water line. As the name implies, any yeast escaping from the reactor should get trapped and this bottle can also serve as a bubble counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can do several 50% water changes per day to help clear up the water. It may take a few days. Fish can stay in the tank.
You can rinse the reactor in hot water and use it again.
Did you have a yeast trap setup between the reactor and the tank? This is basically an extra bottle filled with water. The tubing that comes from the reactor extends down below the water line. The tubing that leads from the yeast trap to the tank is a above the water line. As the name implies, any yeast escaping from the reactor should get trapped and this bottle can also serve as a bubble counter.

Thank you. I'll setup the yeast trap. So this won't likely kill any fish? And, just making sure, I can safely dump the CO2 mix in the sink?

IME even with a yeast trap, some yeast may get through to the tank. Fish should not be harmed as the yeast, sugar, and alcohol by product should be diluted to safe levels with sufficient water changes.

been doing multiple (large) water changes daily and the whole mess just seems worse. The water reeks of yeast and the filter and plants are covered. Don't see a possible recovery rn

If it looks seriously bad then you should consider removing the fish and putting them in a bucket of clean (dechlorinated) water at that point. Be sure to acclimate them to the water since it will be completely new, and be sure to check the temperature first.

I've never had this happen but I assume it can't be good.

At that point you'll be able to do a full 100% water change, scrub the glass, and wipe any yeast off of equipment and the substrate.

I had some yeast/baking soda mixture in the tank, nothing happened. You should be fine. Just do a couple PWC's, that'll help. It should clear up in a couple days.

If it looks seriously bad then you should consider removing the fish and putting them in a bucket of clean (dechlorinated) water at that point. Be sure to acclimate them to the water since it will be completely new, and be sure to check the temperature first.

I've never had this happen but I assume it can't be good.

At that point you'll be able to do a full 100% water change, scrub the glass, and wipe any yeast off of equipment and the substrate.

A 100% wc would be safe?

I had some yeast/baking soda mixture in the tank, nothing happened. You should be fine. Just do a couple PWC's, that'll help. It should clear up in a couple days.

Thanks I'll continue to do so

New update. Did another big water change today, water seems a little clearer but instead of the yeast smell the tank had, it now has a rotten smell. Is this from the co2 leak, or unrelated?

Back
Top Bottom