Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

DIY liquid CO2 recipe for planted aquariums

I know there are some CO2 liquid supplements out there albeit expensive(FlorinAxis or Seachem Carbon Source). Has anyone attempted a less expensive DIY recipe for such a product? Does peat moss extract or the use of dried oak leaves provide similar humic substances at the fraction of the cost? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome. You can do a DIY CO2 with yeast, sugar and water diffuse the gas with a HOB filter it is probably a lot better than trying to make a liquid form. Excel is great on small tanks but does get expensive for larger tank. When deciding what is best think of the type of plants, light, size of tank and also how much you feed your plants.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i added baking soda to mine as well, which im assuming helps keep the ph from being too acidic in the bottle and killing the yeast... it lasted for about a month, just a gallon milk jug filled about 3/4 full

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

peat will soften your water.
the only thing i think leaves will do is add tannin to your water.

however, along the lines of what you are talking about is a natural planted tank. do some research on diana walstad. she uses potting soil as a substrate and decomposition in the soil will create co2. look it up. it's pretty interesting.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks guys for the input... I'll check out Walstad"s site.

Tags
co2, diy, plant, planted, planted aquariums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com