DIY Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mebbid thanks for the information. I have about one more set of root tabs to use in my tank then I am defiantly switching to the DIY ones.

The sword that had the most damaged leaves is sprouting a new leaf already. No noticeable change in my other plants.

I'll do an ammonia, nitrate, kH test today and post results.

It's looking like I'll probably add a few more tabs during this week PWC. I'll have to do it tomorrow instead of Saturday because I'll be out of town this weekend.

Yeah, they made a noticeable difference in my tank in 2 days. My sword is sprouting a new full grown leaf every other day atm

I just ordered the 00 capsules and some dynomite fertilizer, so I'll keep everyone updated on my growth, though in not having and deficiencies.

Ok ammo results were slightly raised but no major concern.

Ammo: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
kH: 2 drops (API KIT)

Gonna do PWC this morning.

Ok so my swords are yellowing, so it seems they've exhausted the last batch of tabs I used which were the Seachem brand.

My PWC is scheduled for tomorrow so I'll do some trimming and plan on using some DIY tabs to see what results I get.

From research it seems that a popular method was using size 00 gel caps with Osmocote Plus.

Here's my dilemma:

1. Can't find Osmocote Plus because its discontinued.

2. Health food store only had size 0 gel caps

Therefore I'm gonna give this a go with Osmocote Smart Release Flower & Vegetable and the size 0 caps.

Pic for reference

Analysis of the ferts

Any feedback would be great guys/gals.

When I made mine I used osmocote indoor/outdoor formula and had great results. I made up a ton of tabs from the osmocote I had, but once I run out of them I plan on making root tabs using dynomite fertilizer. I don't see the harm in using size 0, I would think if anything maybe just replace them a little sooner than normal.

When I made mine I used osmocote indoor/outdoor formula and had great results. I made up a ton of tabs from the osmocote I had, but once I run out of them I plan on making root tabs using dynomite fertilizer. I don't see the harm in using size 0, I would think if anything maybe just replace them a little sooner than normal.

Yeah I would have used the Dynamite but I would have had to order it. Didn't have time to wait for the mail lol

Yeah I would have used the Dynamite but I would have had to order it. Didn't have time to wait for the mail lol

I understand that! All that I had available at store near me was osmocote as well. Dynomite I only found on eBay and amazon and I didnt find it until after I had already put my tabs together. I did get my 00 el capsules online though. When I got all of the supplies I still had a couple seachem tabs left over.

I just made 150 tabs with a 3-1 ratio of dynamite and osmocote tabs. I cant wait to try them out. It took less then an hour to do so.

Yeah, they are nice and soo easy. It's also absurd how much growth I've gotten since I added them. You won't be disappointed :)

Glad I'm not the only one using Dynamite lol I cant find Osnocote + anywhere around here.

I've seen a little growth but nothing spectacular. I added a few more tabs last weekend and at least both swords have sprouted new leaves as well as one of my crypts. Hopefully I will be able to grab a bottle of dynamite soon.

*shrug* My amazon sword has grown 11 inches taller since I added my root tabs 1 month ago. I did notice that the more established the root system is in the tank the faster it will grow. So if it's a fairly new plant then it will take longer to start growing

Yeah once mind set in it took off like new leaves over night always pruning. Just planted a red melon and it's sprouting new growth

I saw that kind of growth with the api tabs but i made 70 just dynamite tabs and 70 just osmocote. So when i put them in tomorrow ill see the difference cause im gonna split the tank in two and compare growth

Back
Top Bottom