DIY Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my swords are yellowing, so it seems they've exhausted the last batch of tabs I used which were the Seachem brand.

My PWC is scheduled for tomorrow so I'll do some trimming and plan on using some DIY tabs to see what results I get.

From research it seems that a popular method was using size 00 gel caps with Osmocote Plus.

Here's my dilemma:

1. Can't find Osmocote Plus because its discontinued.

2. Health food store only had size 0 gel caps

Therefore I'm gonna give this a go with Osmocote Smart Release Flower & Vegetable and the size 0 caps.

image-544686105.jpg

Pic for reference

image-103498616.jpg

Analysis of the ferts

Any feedback would be great guys/gals.

I would do a mix of different ferts in those caps because that particular osmocote is missing a lot of micros. I just did a DIY root tab and am seeing amazing results using a 50/50 mix of that osmocote and Miracle grow Tomato, Fruits, and Vegetables plus calcium.

Check out Dynamite Plant Food (red bottle). I haven't tried it personally but there's some online chatter on it as a replacement to O+ because it's slow release, good ratio of NPK, and has micros.

Just make sure to bury any DIY root tabs deep to avoid spikes in ammonia.

Check out Dynamite Plant Food (red bottle). I haven't tried it personally but there's some online chatter on it as a replacement to O+ because it's slow release, good ratio of NPK, and has micros.

Just make sure to bury any DIY root tabs deep to avoid spikes in ammonia.

+1 if you can find it go with this first

Check out this dude's YouTube channel... he has two or three update videos on the growth he's getting using DIY Dynamite Plant Food tabs...

Watch his other videos after this one from his channel regarding his 45g. Growth looks exceptional.

thanks for the link brian. You just made the decision process 10x's harder lol

I ended up following some other links and checking out some ADU vids. This guy makes me want to start my tank all over lol. I have a 20G long i want to start but my wife considers my tank as a piece of furniture >___< so I have no place to put it.

Anyways Im looking up the Dynamite product and unfortunately I would have to order it as I haven't found any stores in my area that carry it. My other concern is I don't know the copper content of the product because I cant seem to find a good pic of the label. Just making sure I don't leach any toxic levels into my tank. Just looking out for my RCS.

So my current regimen is Seachem Root Tabs( exhausted quickly because of greedy swords and crypts ) Seachem Comp and Excel. I recently stopped dosing Excel because my Cork vals seemed to start to melt recently and I wanted the algae to grow a little for my ottos.

Also I have the Osmocote already. I'm growing tomatoes and cucumbers lol So is it possible to get by with just dosing the Comp for micros or will my root feeders need to get their micros from the tabs also?

I would definitely look into getting something with micros in it. You can go to the store and just look at the different time release ferts because there is a fair number of them which is exactly what I did.

I also wouldn't worry about the copper content of the ferts. Osmocote + has some copper in it and tons of people use it for their root tabs. It's not a high enough concentration to cause problems in the tank.

Here are some pics, notice the yellowing and browning. Gonna trim the dying leaves and stick the tabs under. Don't mind the rampant l. repens lol

image-715560139.jpg

image-545170581.jpg

Attachments

• image-354901393.jpg
    image-354901393.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 323
I would definitely look into getting something with micros in it. You can go to the store and just look at the different time release ferts because there is a fair number of them which is exactly what I did.

I also wouldn't worry about the copper content of the ferts. Osmocote + has some copper in it and tons of people use it for their root tabs. It's not a high enough concentration to cause problems in the tank.

I might run down to Home Depot and see what they have. Sorry for bad pics.

This is what I use for my tablets, got them from home depot.

75748-albums12252-picture60273.jpg

There was a noticeable difference in growth within 2 days in my amazon sword.

Can't find dynamite anywhere. Picked up Miracle Gro w/calcium at HD. Gonna make some tabs mixed with Osmocote and see what results I get.

Mebbid

How do you mix he ingredients for the DIY tabs. Is the miracle grow liquid?
And how often do you put them in the tank and where just under plants or every so many inches.

Thanks

Mebbid

How do you mix he ingredients for the DIY tabs. Is the miracle grow liquid?
And how often do you put them in the tank and where just under plants or every so many inches.

Thanks

In the picture I posted earlier in this thread is the particular type of miracle grow and osmocote that I used as well as the mixed batch and filled capsules in a different container. They are both the small round balls that will fit in the capsules very well. Just mix them together in a bowl and then fill the capsules

As for how much to use, I've just been experimenting. I would add capsules in differently depending on the substrate you have. For example in my 55g tank I put quite a few of them all over my tank because I noticed they have a range of about 3 inches. The substrate I have in that tank is black diamond blasting sand and nothing circulates very well in it.

However in my 10g with fluorite substrate I can get away with using fewer of them because the fert will disperse more. I'm having issues with that tank currently so I can't say just how big the range of the capsules is.

In any case use them sparingly until the tank adjusts because they can throw a fair amount of ammonia into the water.

I have no idea exactly how long they will last but I would imagine they will last about 3 months.

Just did my PWC today. Did a bunch of trimming and added about 6 tabs.

I mixed the MG and Osmo about 50/50 and made about 20 tabs to start. Also note that I'm using size 0 gel caps.

So next Saturday we'll see if I have some positive results. If sooner I'll report.

You could go way more than that. I am up to about 16 00 size capsules in my 55g and 5 in my 10g

Ahh that's a good plan then. My tank has enough plants that I can't get a positive ammonia reading even if I try to.

Back
Top Bottom