Do I have an algae problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 26g bf tank has been running for about 9 months and I've been finding that most of my plants have been getting small blackish spots on them and looking dirty. Is this a type of algae?

My water parameters seem fine to me, except for phosphates possibly being a little low at 0.25ppm. I used to dose dry ferts and Excel, but I actually found that I could keep things stable more easily by doing nothing aside from 40-50% PWC weekly.

Is there something I can do to take care of this?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389499516.304500.jpg

It's an Anubia. This also happens to my Amazon swords and ludwigia, etc. It's almost like a slime, but it doesn't wipe off.

So I have the black spots. I'm wondering if I also have a phosphate and/or potassium deficiency because I get small brown spots and a gradual yellowing and browning of leaf parts that eventually are resorbed? I could go back to the dry ferts and add the micros and macros aside from the KNO3 since my nitrates seem to be good.

Would this possibly have an effect on raising my KH and/or GH? Currently, they are both at 2. I'm told that the water company makes changes that alters the harness, but I am hesitant to drop in all kinds of other chemicals. I'm wondering if this low hardness is responsible for the wasting away of the tail fin on one of my male guppies?

Can you see where there are no spots on the parts of leaves that are under the others? That is partially what made me think algae.

Mine looks the same. Something in your tank is eating the algae before it starts really growing big. That's beard algae and pretty much impossible top get rid of. I got 3 Siamese algae eaters and they are so much fun to watch. They don't let any of it grow but it still gets the spots on top of leaves.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom