Do I need CO2 and PH controllers...confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I haven't long ( few mths) started putting in live plants. Un fortunately I am starting to get algae on the ends of some of my plants. I have been reading about co2, then come across the ph controllers and goodness knows what else I will find!! Do I really need all of this stuff to have a healthy planted aquarium? It really is over my head, and is probably pretty expensive, I have a 240 ltr tank and I loathe the fake plants. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Dueces, i'm a bit of the same opinion. I check PH and Nitrates daily and all are within range. Just not sure if it's a requirement if you wanted a heavily planted aquarium.

Algae can be cause by having your lights on too long, what's your photo period like? And yes, CO2 can help reduce algae growth, but it's not necessary for low tech set ups. What kind of plants do you have?

Hi Venymae, i have the lights on for roughly 10hrs a day, I have 2 fluro's, 1 is "sunlight", the other is "fish".
My plants are, duckweed, moss, hornwart, ricca fluitans, amazon frogbit, cardamine lyrata, (lucky i buy most of my plants off ebay, easy to get the names lol) and a couple of others that i have no idea what they are.
PH 7.3 and Nitrate 5
thanks

A little algae isn't a bad thing but is a little unsightly! I would try reducing your lights from 10 hours.

Reduce the light period to around 7-8 hours. Also I suggest dosing glut (excel, metricide14, or flourish). They are an alternate to a pressurized co2 system. Metricide14 is the strongest out of the three. The plants you have are all low-med light. Do you have any fish? How often do you do your PWC's?

PH controllers are not necessary. I just (like many other people) check the ph every week or so to make sure it's not too acidic/basic. The API freshwater master test kit is worth the money and checks a lot of water parameters.

PH controllers are not necessary. I just (like many other people) check the ph every week or so to make sure it's not too acidic/basic. The API freshwater master test kit is worth the money and checks a lot of water parameters.

That's a fact.

Hi, i do 25% wc every week, and use flourish every week. I will reduce the lighting as you suggest, thought i might get a blue light to run when the others aren't on (until go to bed)
I check ph every day, i have an electric ph tester which i find to be very good. I have 3 loaches, 1 shark, 2 catfish, 2 bristlenose catfish, 2 platy's, 1 balloon molly and 3 fry
thanks

Thanks for the info, i will certainly try that metricide. I did have 8 fry, but 5 ended up as snacks !! Lucky to have 3 left.

Back
Top Bottom