Do I need CO2 injection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am considering consolidating my 45g attempt at a brackish planted tank into a 20g freshwater planted tank with lots of snails (for my puffers) and a few fish.

I would be using a 50/50 60 watt PC, so 3 watts/gallon.

I don't know much about C02 or particularly want to spend the money on a system, so just wondering if algae would take over at this lighting level or if I need C02 injection.
If I do need it, is there a supplement I could use rather than having to inject it?
If there's no way of getting around c02 injection, can anyone recommend me an idiot-proof kit that would be suitable for a tank this size?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.

Above 2WPG it's recommended to get some CO2 in there. You can do a pressurized system, or a DIY system. You can also consider dosing Flourish Excel, but that gets costly too.

But, if you have a 60W system, and run a 50/50, that's really only 30 W of usable light to the plants, therefore you'd only be at 1.5WPG, and could get away with no CO2.

Since you have a 50/50 bulb, you are only going to be running @ 1.5 WPG. 03 does not promote that much plant growth. You will be fine without CO2.

Ohh, okay. I didn't realize that about the 50/50.
Sounds like that'd be pretty much perfect then - I don't think any of the plants I have are very light demanding.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom