Do I need Iron???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok...

Oriental Sword, Amazon Sword, and Aponogeton undulatus are affected

28 gal

1.07 wpg

No Co2

Ammonia/nitrite= 0 ppm
nitrate= 20 ppm
ph= 8.0
po4= 2 ppm
kh= 250.6 ppm
gh= 161.1 ppm

dose... NO3, K, Excel and flourish tabs (new tab every two months or so)

i would say moderately planted

see sig for fish stock

tank is across room from window, blinds are closed during most of day

tank has been up for 2 years

10 plants get light for 10 hours a day, 5 in the morning, then off for 5 hours and then another 5 hours of light in the evening

anyways OLD GROWTH on the above plants is getting brown spots, small holes and see through areas

see pics

I agree, both insufficient light and Potassium. 1w/g is pretty low for some swords. You can't really OD Potassium, and it doesn't cause algae, so if you are dosing Potassium, try upping the dosage. And if not, then get some Potasium, either Greg Watsons or Flourish Potassium. Other than that, sounds like your usage of root tabs is fine, so that side is good.

Lonewolfblue said:
I agree, both insufficient light and Potassium. 1w/g is pretty low for some swords. You can't really OD Potassium, and it doesn't cause algae, so if you are dosing Potassium, try upping the dosage. And if not, then get some Potasium, either Greg Watsons or Flourish Potassium. Other than that, sounds like your usage of root tabs is fine, so that side is good.
i do does potassium - i dose about 20 ml of 5% K2O once a week, i could dose another 20 ml half way through the week and see if that helps. this is in my 28 gal of course, i wish there was a good test for potassium to see how my my plants use, and how fast they use it.

the browning on the sword may be unrelated it is only the one leaf and about a week ago i just finished a 4 day blackout to kill blue-green algae (noticed it starting on that leaf when i removed the cover and it has just been getting worse, but only this one leaf.) maybe i should just remove the leaf!

Potassium...

I've been fighting the same thing ever since I upgraded my lighting. I'm dosing very other day to keep up...

Back
Top Bottom