do I need to add co2 to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Im a bit confused. I have a 30 gallon planted tank. I don't inject any co2, I just use liquid carbon, ferts once a week and I use planted substrate.

I have one of those co2 drop checker and according to that I have enough co2 in my tank. But how can I when I dont inject any co2. I only have 10 fish so surely they can't be producing enough co2 for the plants.

If you dose carbon then you don't need to add any more co2.

When my DIY co2 runs out, I use liquid when I am being lazy.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

It will, but liquid carbon is expensive.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

The liquid carbon I use is only about £20 for a 500ml bottle and it usually lasts me a few months

So Im a bit confused. I have a 30 gallon planted tank. I don't inject any co2, I just use liquid carbon, ferts once a week and I use planted substrate.

I have one of those co2 drop checker and according to that I have enough co2 in my tank. But how can I when I dont inject any co2. I only have 10 fish so surely they can't be producing enough co2 for the plants.

If you have ph and kh, you could try looking up a ph/kh/co2 chart (bearing in mind other tank buffers / acids can throw it out).

I found co2 makes a large difference so a little puzzled on drop checker as well.

I'm also curious about the green color you are seeing in the drop checker. Mine stay deep blue except for after the CO2 comes on (pressurize, on a timer).
If you can get a hold of a product called Metricide 14 (not Metricide 28), then you will have an inexpensive source of Glutaraldehyde (active ingredient in Seachem Excel and API CO2 Booster).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use the fluval drop checker and as far as I can figure out, I add the solution provided and nothing else.

I've found with that it starts off blue out of the bottle and then goes to green with co2 injection. With co2 off it goes to a greenish blue but not very dark blue as before. Would be interested what the OP sees. With the ph controller it's only a backup for me.

If you have ph and kh, you could try looking up a ph/kh/co2 chart (bearing in mind other tank buffers / acids can throw it out).

I found co2 makes a large difference so a little puzzled on drop checker as well.

I had a look at one of those charts and according to that, I have too much co2 which can't be right

I had a look at one of those charts and according to that, I have too much co2 which can't be right

Bottle it if it is :)

Would you have readings?

Also I've found any non-neutral substrate, driftwood and buffers like phosphate neutral ph can throw the chart out if that helps.

What plants do you have? Are they healthy? If so why worry about adding co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom