Do I need to remove these plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooltop

Aquarium Advice Freak
002b.jpg

I have 2 live plants in my tank the one on the far left and far right.
I was told these where not made for underwater

the bamboo needs to have its leaves exposed to air, but the stalk can be underwater. It will die as it is now, I can't tell what the other one is, but it doesn't look like any true aquatic that I know of...I'd remove both before they start rotting and mess up your water

I can't tell what the plant on the left is, but it the leaves certainly look too rigid to be aquatic.

A simple way to tell aquatic vs non-aquatic is that if the plant can stand up on it's own out of water, then it's non-aquatic.

The bamboo: see post above

The one on the left looks like Dracaena (sp?) which isn't aquatic. Put it in a pot and place it in a window or on the porch. :)

Actually, JustOneMore, both of these plants are variations of dracaena, and neither will lived submersed. I have had trouble keeping the one on the left alive personally, but it's a pretty thing.

i would remove them from the tank before they become a problem. one of the reasons why when i started i ordered everything from the forums from people who knew what they were doing.

I can't tell what the plant on the left is, but it the leaves certainly look too rigid to be aquatic.

A simple way to tell aquatic vs non-aquatic is that if the plant can stand up on it's own out of water, then it's non-aquatic.

The bamboo: see post above

That is so not true. ;)

Several Hygros, some ludwigias, anubias, all stand on their own. Ammania Bonsai stands on its own. Several Crypts, lutea and Willissii for instance, stand exactly the same (with different leaf growth, f course) emersed. Tons of others.

Heck, I can grow Hygro Angustifolia a straight foot right out the top of my tank. Same for Stricta. Both have stems thick enough that I could take the trimmings, especially the emersed form (which many shops are sold) and stick them out front in my landscaping.

I know what you are trying to say, the common rotala/ludwigias/bacopas, etc., but it isn't true of all aquatic plants.

Back
Top Bottom