Do Plecos Eat Live Plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are literally hundreds of species of plecos. Some are pure carnivores and some pure herbivores. Many species of plecos will devour aquarium plants, and many won't touch them.

BN (ancistrus) should not harm plants, and I have not seen this in my jungle at all, which houses three. Clown plecos are another excellent planted tank pleco. I have heard that rubberlip/bulldog plecos can damage plant leaves with rasping on them, but not necessarily consuming the plant.

Yea my rubbernose damaged a few leaves on my plants..that is before it mysteriously died with the rest of my bottom dwellers. =/ I suspect it to be from contaminated slate rock that I used. A friend gave it to me after i commented on how nice some would look in a planted tank. I found out later that it *may* have come into contact with some HCL in his geology class. Boo 8O

and the larger pleco species could damage plants simply with their powerful tails...especially if they get spooked and wildly thrash towards cover.

Hypancistrus and baryancistrus spp. (e.g. Queen Arabesque, King Tiger, Gold Nugget) often have very strong teeth that will destroy larger-sized plants.

Ancistrus are, IME, fine.

My experience is a well fed pleco, regardless of species, will not harm HEALTHY plants.

I have a rubber nose and a gold nugget pleco ... and while I've never seen them eating the plants, my amazon sword leaves do have lots of holes in them. But I don't have any problems with any of my other plants ... just the sword.

plants: amazon sword, java fern, green+purple cabomba, Red Ludwigia, baby tears, Red Myrio, and a bunch of italian/jungle vals.

my bristlenoses loved the red radican sword i put in my tank :)

althought they havent touched any of the regrowth yet (crosses fingers)

I had a bristlenose do a number on some Amazon sword leaves that had some algae on them...

He's in a tank with vals, java fern, java moss and crypts and those are all fine so far. I wouldn't trust him with big, leafy plants.

Lowcoaster said:
My experience is a well fed pleco, regardless of species, will not harm HEALTHY plants.

Just how well should you feed your plecs? My sextet -- a common, a clown, a gold nugget, and three red gibs -- consume half a Zuchini a week and a pile of sinking shrimp pellets. It looks pretty much as if the Zuke just goes in one end and comes out the other as tubes. What live plants that I have -- very few owing to the African cichlids I have -- the plecs have never touched. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom