Do Snail eggs munch on CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milan

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been several weeks since I noticed some jelly-like whitish stuff which smells fishy inside my CO2 reactor. I kept washing it off, but it reappears after a couple of days again. Interesting thing is that it always happens around the nozzle (air stone) where CO2 bubbles enter the reactor chamber. The only thing that comes to my mind is that it is snail eggs. But why nowhere else but around the CO2 source? Could it be that snail eggs actually like CO2, and perhaps feed (breath, or whatever ...) on it?

Last night I soaked the whole reactor in a strong solution of Potassium Permanganate for a good 30 minutes, and rinsed it thoroughly afterwards, just to make sure there is none left. Hope that will do the trick, but still it puzzles me if there is some connection between snail eggs and CO2.

Anyone who experienced this too? Could it be something else, other than snail eggs?

If it is yeast CO2, whitish film around airstones is common. This document seems to indicate it is "flocculated yeast," and it can prevented with a separator bottle. HTH

its not snails. its wild yeast/mold/bacteria colonizing the tip.

you need to put in a gas separator bottle between the DIY generators and the airline that runs into the tank.

czcz has the exact page link'd up that explains the separator bottle. 20oz soda bottles work well for this.

Back
Top Bottom