Does anybody know about plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beginner Fish Lover

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking about getting some live plants for our tank, but have never used plants before! If anybody has any suggestions please post

Thanks,
Beginner Fish Lover:p

We have tons of people that have live plant experience. Read through the planted tank forum as there's lots of info there.

Moved thread to planted tank forum.

Answer 1: roughly 26 gallon tank
Answer 2: Fluorescent lighting
Answer 3: I do not understand what you are saying. I am a beginner, and I do not speak fish!!

I am a beginner, and I do not speak fish!!
Hilarious :) Love the wording!

Ok, so to break it down, plants use light, take in nutrients (fertilizer, ferts for short), and carbon dioxide (co2)... in an aquarium, depending on the amount of light (wattage), you may or may not have to dose ferts and/or co2. For a beginner to planted tanks, i would highly suggest low light plants that would not require you to dose ferts or inject co2. The wattage of your light will determine what plants you can keep and if you will need to upgrade to a higher wattage fixture. Chances are, you have a single t-8 (size of bulb in 1/8ths of an inch, t-8 bulbs are 1" diameter) that is probably between 15 and 20 watts. If that is the case, java fern, java moss, and anubias are probably about all you will be able to keep. Look on your light fixture or bulb and see if you see anything that would indicate how many watts you have. Also, the k (kelvin) rating of the bulb will also have an effect. If the bulb is not within usable color temperature of the plants, it will do nothing for them (usuable light for plants is between 6500k and 10,000k)... make more sense? I think i said everything right at least :)

I got a fern and it is doing good. It is relatively near the filter and I wondered if I should move it?

No, you dont HAVE to move it, it will do fine there, I tie java ferns to my intake tubes on my filters, hides them well.

what kind of bulb, length and wattage will help. id get a new one rated at 6500K(if you dont have it already) the same length you got, java ferns arent demanding and dont really need ferts to survive, but do to thrive.

substrate matters as well if you get most other plants.

also two of my smaller ferns that I trimmed I tied to the top side of a piece of wood directly infront of the outlet for my canister filter and when the daughters sprout it send them off into the rest of the tank. I got little ones all over the place self anchored.

Back
Top Bottom