Does this Really do anything for my Planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I placed a powerhead, I made it so small amount of air will be intake with the water itself. This creates small mist bubbles circle thru out the tank.

I wouldn't think it would do anything.

It would add more O2 to the water which is good for the fish but if you have good circulation in the tank the fish are getting enough O2 anyway.

Plants need CO2 and the set up you have doesn't add any of that.

If this tank has CO2, then it doesn't help any. But if it's a non-CO2 planted tank, then it will help keep your CO2 levels more stable with the atmosphere, and the plants won't cause it to bottom out. But that's about all it will do. As for O2 levels for the fish, the bubbles won't add O2 to the tank. It's the surface aggitation that the bubbles cause that increase the O2 levels, as well as keep the CO2 levels stable with the atmosphere, which is maybe 3-4ppm in the aquarium.

I really dont have alot of aggitation on the surface, I do have circulation but nothign big on aggitation

The surface aggitation that causes the O2 and CO2 transfer into the aquarium is when the bubbles surface. That's where most of your transfer will take place. So if you increased the number of bubbles, you increase the surface aggitation, as there will be more bubbles surfacing.

can you explain what you mean by leveling the co2 from tank to atmosphere

There is CO2 in the air. What the aggitation does is when the tank falls below this level, meaning there is less CO2 than in the atmophere, CO2 will enter the tank water, as does O2. Withoug aggitation, the plants will use up the CO2, and the levels will be low until you disturb the surface. then the CO2 will rise. This fluctuation is usually related with BBA.

Lonewolfblue said:
As for O2 levels for the fish, the bubbles won't add O2 to the tank. It's the surface aggitation that the bubbles cause that increase the O2 levels, as well as keep the CO2 levels stable with the atmosphere, which is maybe 3-4ppm in the aquarium.

This is incorrect. There is a common misconception that gases only exchange at the surface of the water. I've seen this posted too many times to count on this forum alone. Gases exchange with liquids at ANY interface. Not just at the surface of the water. We can easily see this with the mist method you use. Those bubbles that remain in the tank after a couple seconds when finally chopped up with a mist are no longer primarily composed of CO2. That is because the bubble itself is an interface between the water. Gases readily diffuse back and forth based on their concentration gradients.

Because of this in an O2 depleted tank an air bubble (composed of O2 and other gases) will readily diffuse O2 into the tank water as its rising up. Because it is from a PH (very small bubbles), most of the O2 will "dissolve" into the water column if oxygen depleted. This is not to say that a large amount of transfer doesn't occur at the surface, it does. Just be aware that it happens at all air/liquid interfaces.

To the OP:

Unless you have a sealed tank and/or are very heavily planted you probably don't need it. If your tank top is sealed with little current, or you are heavily planted with little current (at night both plants and fish are consuming O2), then its probably a good idea.

HTH

Hi kaz, I just caught up with this thread and I thought I would lend my voice. I also have non-CO2 injected tank and run an airstone and have a canister filter with the output submerged creating little or no surface agitation. I asked this same question way back when.

That was two years ago. The airstone has helped keep the CO2 levels in balance up until I overloaded the plant biomass and needed to provide a bit more via Flourish excel. :)

Jchillin said:
Hi kaz, I just caught up with this thread and I thought I would lend my voice. I also have non-CO2 injected tank and run an airstone and have a canister filter with the output submerged creating little or no surface agitation. I asked this same question way back when.

That was two years ago. The airstone has helped keep the CO2 levels in balance up until I overloaded the plant biomass and needed to provide a bit more via Flourish excel. :)

I'm not really running an airstone at this time I am finding myself using more this powerhead with slight airintake to create mist bubbles.
Thank for the information. BTW I too only seeking to keep co2 levels running until I finish the aquarium with fully loaded substrate and plants.

http://www.imagedoll.com/show.php/2127_PC170334.JPG.html

Back
Top Bottom