Does white/light gravel increase ammount of light available?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I have two tanks, both with the same 6700K lamp, and the one tank I have with white gravel, looks 300% brighter. This leads me to believe that the reflective properties of the white gravel might make more light available to the plants I have. Does that make any sense? So does the color of your gravel and decorations factor into the wattage of the bulb(s) you should buy?

Thanks in advance.

It could only make a difference in a sparcely planted tank or one that had areas that were without plants. In a densely planted tank with ground cover the gravel is completely covered preventing any light from reflecting off of it.

Purrbox,

Your right, but my tanks aren't densly covered, so it might make a signicant difference.

I have about 20, half week old molly fry swimming around right now, so I'll wait a week or so to think it over before buying the gravel and moving everything out.

Thanks.

I've never seen any reports of white gravel vs. dark gravel making any difference. Its more likely that algae will infest white gravel.

any light that is reflected is going to be heavily diffused...so it'll lose a lot of its potency.

I wouldn't change gravel to make your lighting more efficient...I'd change it because you want a different color gravel.

Back
Top Bottom