doing an experiment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I had to drain my 5gall nano reef for the move (will put it back up when we get settled in) and so now I am wanting to do an experiment... I am wanting to try and turn the 5gall into a planted clippings tank, but use potting soil? I have read of this being done successfully as it has a lot of nutrients. I would not include fish or inverts, it would just be plants as maybe a 2 month experiment. I am just currious as to know of any advice or any reason not to try it? (I will replace the 5gall when I set the nano back up with a small glass 5gall :wink: )

You would probably better with top soil, rather than potting soil. Some potting soils contain perilite or vermiculite, which while not harmful, may float. The less organic material in the soil, the better. It is recommended on the plant sites/forums, that the soil be "mineralized" to remove the organics. info on that can be derived from one of the plant forums. Personally, I look for the poorest topsoil I can find, or even subsoil, and put a thin layer at the bottom of the gravel (mixed with the gravel) and a dusting of peat mosss, covered with clean gravel.

In some potting soils, they add fertilizers that contain Ammonia Nitrate for some of the Nitrogen. I wouldn't imagine having Ammonia Nitrate in your tank would be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom