Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
well i bought all the dry ingredients for my dosing from www.gregwatson.com
and i bought the 8oz dosing bottles one for each fert
my only question is how much dry should i add to 8oz of water?

Will see what I can come up with. Just remember that 1oz=29.57ml. So the 8oz bottle is 236.59ml.

I would dose the nitrate dry, and not use the container for it. In your tank, 1 tsp is approx 11ppm. And 1/2 tsp is approx 5.5ppm. Just mix in a warm cup of water and pour in. You won't be able to make a good solution with it. Dry is best.

For the phosphate, mix in 2 tsp in the 8oz container. That way, for your tank, a 1ml dose is approx .1ppm (actually just over .09ppm). Or if you go 4 tsp, then each 1ml dose is approx .2ppm dose.

For the Potassium Sulfate, I would also dose that dry. Each 1 tsp for your tank will be 8.89ppm. 2tsp will be 17.78ppm.

Then I'll let someone else do the CSM+B, as I'm not quite good with that yet, lol.

well so far i have that much figured out i just dont know how much to actualy stick in there this is all new to me

As for the solutions, you can't really make them in that sized container for nitrate, as you would need to add several teaspoons, and it won't all dissolve. It may dissolve in hot water, but will still have some on the bottom. Even in my 2L containers, I can't do nitrate, as it won't all dissolve, and I have it for my 75G. So I dry dose it, and have solutions for the rest. Potassium you should be able to get it all to dissolve in hot water in the container your size, but it's just much easier getting a measuring spoon and doing it dry in a cup of warm water. Can put both nitrate and potassium in at the same time, stir up, and pour in the tank.

It all depends on your setup. How much lighting and how densly planted? Here's what I do with my high light 75G, heavily planted.... This is using EI.

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/4 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week (not on the same days as the macros above)
50% weekly water change

If you have lower lighting and are not as heavily planted, then you will want to start with less than this and see how your plants go. Also, need to test for nitrates and phosphates to be sure you aren't dropping out on one or the other. You might even have to adjust the dosings and dose more of one and less of the other as well. But this is a starting point.

Also, I don't put into my filter. Don't want to chance harming the cycle. I just mix in a cup of water and pour in the tank near the filters output.

Thank you so much for all your help most appreciated
now i just have to figure out where to find a spoon that measures 3/16 lol

Just get measuring spoons. 2/16 is 1/8. So when dosing, just do 1 full and one about half using the 1/8 tsp and you have 3/16. Dosings don't need to be exact, just fairly close. You can always adjust up or down.

How much lighting do you have and how well planted is the tank? Think I asked once before but didn't get a response. If it's not heavily planted, I'd start with half doses and work your way up if you find you are dropping out on one.

Have any pics of the tank?

well its an 80 Gal tank with about 3 inch of sand fairly heavy planted
all the plants are just babys right now but i havent had the ferts to help them grow.
Even the baby plants are making baby plants lol so yeah its getting pretty stocked on plants.
now i dident dose the nitrate because at the moment is about 40 to 80 ppm not real sure the red tends to look the same, and yeah i know i will be doing a PWC.

I have 4 96 Watt PC bulbs
At the moment i dont have any pics but will post some soon

Cool, once the plants start to take off, you may need to dose full EI with that lighting. But for now, start half, then work your way up.

If you want to be able to measure out small amounts of ferts more exactly you can also pick up an inexpensive scale. Here's the same scale and vendor that I bought mine from. Works great. You could even pick up just the scale without the extras for even less. Then you can use Chuck's Calculator to figure out the amount you need to measure out.

Back
Top Bottom