Dosing advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so my CO2 is back up and running, but I haven't started dosing yet. I wanted to do 1 thing at a time. The result is: cyano on the surface of the water. At least, I think it's cyano. It's not in a clump, but rather in tiny little spots all over the surface. If I run a white net through it, it has the telltale blue-green colour. And a test confirms my nitrates have bottomed out.

I have a 50gal tank, with 1.5wpg, and DIY CO2. My CO2 levels are between 30 and 45ppm (stupid unreadable test kit). I would say I am at least moderately planted, with mostly fast growing stem plants, a big sword and a bunch of val and crypts.

I will be dosing nitrates with KNO3. If I put 1 teaspoon in, I should get 18.14ppm, according to Chuck. In my tank, with my light and CO2 level, how often should I be putting in that teaspoon? And, will this dose be enough for my K levels as well, or should I be dosing K2SO4 additionally?

I would dose to 20 PPM NO3's and monitor the level everyother day for a couple weeks to see how much your tank is using. Then you can adjust how much and when you have to dose. If you have to dose KNO3 to maintain your level, then you don't have to worry about K+. ie you don't have a large enough bioload to maintain the NO3 level in the desired band.

I would also obtain a drop checker to monitor your CO2 levels. You will be able to tell when you need to change your bottles and if you have enough of them.

i have been thinking about getting a dropchecker, thanks for the mention - i will get one as soon as i have spare cash.

i assume it is desirable to dose smaller amounts more frequently, rather than waiting for the tank to use almost all of it then dosing again. is this correct? so i would be better to find out how long it takes for the tank to get to 10ppm, then dose another 10?

zenkatydid said:
i have been thinking about getting a dropchecker, thanks for the mention - i will get one as soon as i have spare cash.

i assume it is desirable to dose smaller amounts more frequently, rather than waiting for the tank to use almost all of it then dosing again. is this correct? so i would be better to find out how long it takes for the tank to get to 10ppm, then dose another 10?

Your welcome and yes you should not allow the level to go below 10 PPM. The hobbiest grade test kits are known for showing 5 or 10 PPM NO3's when there may not be any.

Stay between 10 and 30 PPM NO3's and don't let it go below 10.

Back
Top Bottom