Dosing Excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I just got my order of a huge jug of Excel the other day (thinking it would last me a looong time) but the instructions say to dose with one capful for 20 gallons the first time, and every other time that a capful will treat around 100 gallons. XD

I have the 500mL bottle and it says to use one capful per 60g every 1-2 weeks. I'm sure the cap size is different from the big bottles, but it seems to be pretty potent stuff. I've only been using it for a few weeks, but I can see a difference in my plants.

I think there were some misprints on some of the LARGE jugs.. It has the same info as the smaller bottles, yet it has a much larger cap...

One full cap should be 5ml (if memory serves).... Do you have anything to measure by? You will certainly be overdosing if you use the cap on that bottle as the "full cap"...

One full cap should be 5ml (if memory serves).... Do you have anything to measure by? You will certainly be overdosing if you use the cap on that bottle as the "full cap"...

I decided to go with 1ml per 10g for now. I have tons of empty bottles that have measuring caps I haven't thrown out yet. Good thing I kept some. :)

I'll check my 500ml bottle and compare it to my 2L when I get home..

With the size of the 2L and the clearness of the liquid, I think it'd be a bit tough trying to dose by cap threads anyways. What I did was just pour a tiny amount in a small plastic cup, then divvy it up into the cap to go to different tanks.

I use a graduated cylinder I got from a lab supply store way back when for a science fair project. I have a 50ml Cylinder for my indoor tank and 100ml cylinder for my pond. I also use pipettes that have been calibrated to 14drops=5ml. They were all gotten at a pretty cheap price. I also think cap sizes are universal. The Topfin aquasafe bottle tops are all the same size except for the tiniest bottles.

I've just been pouring a small amount into a plastic cup, then pouring from that into an old top fin water conditioner cap which has the ml measured up to 10.

Back
Top Bottom