Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dosing nitrates?

My cycled 100g is heavily planted, has maybe 40-50 neon and ember tetras, 5 corys, and 2 SAEs atm. Testing prior to water changes is 0 nitrates.... I'm assuming that means I probably need to dose nitrates for the plants? I have root tabs in, but I also have anubias, subwassertang, and salvinia floating, so root tabs aren't going to do them much good.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be dosing all nutrients plants need... apart from Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen.

N
P
K
S
Ca
Mg
Fe
Zn
B
Mo
Mn
Cu
Cl
Ni

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Kay...

You have very small fish and not many for 100 gallons of water. The water is likely diluting the nitrogen to the point is doesn't register on a water test. The nitrates are still there, but probably not enough to sustain your aquatic plants. I cycled a 100 gallon tank recently and put in enough fish to support the plants. You can add more of the same fish you have or research some compatible species other than those you have and gradually introduce them. Then, feed the fish a little more and more often. You'll have your nitrates. But, you also need to keep up a steady water change routine to replenish minerals and oxygen. These are as important to the plants as nitrate.

B
Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks folks ��

Sorry, should've been more specific. Already dosing co2, trace, iron, potassium. I've just never had a tank that didn't hang out around 10ppm nitrates so dosing nitrates didn't occur to me until recently.

There are more fish to be added soon as I get the money together to order them in, but I'm thinking more neons, corys, and hatchetfish aren't going to be enough to spike the bio load in the numbers I'm planning.

I'm using thrive for the low light goldfish tank. I may look into it for this one too.
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylNeko View Post

I'm using thrive for the low light goldfish tank. I may look into it for this one too.
Good Plan

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want to try out fertilizers buying some Seachem stuff from the LFS is a good way to go but if you decide you really want to do the fertilizer thing then buying dry fertilizers from somewhere like green leaf aquariums can really save you money over the long term. You can also then tweak your formula to address whatever issues your plants are having if you want to.
Tacit Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, dosing, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com