dosing nitrogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
My nitrates are at zero in my planted aquarium. I have no fish yet and read that between 10-20 ppm are suitable for plants. I bought some seachem nitrogen to dose my 100 gallon heavily planted tank to get my nitrates up. Should there be a direct correlation in me dosing nitrogen and seeing my nitrates rise in future testing? The reason I'm asking is I want to be able to know when too much, or too little nitrogen has been dosed by using a nitrate test. Is this appropriate? I have been dosing according the directions on the seachem nitrogen bottle but have yet to see any rise in nitrate using my test kit SO I am dosing more often (than what it says in the directions) in hopes that I can achieve the desired level. I don't want to be dosing too much thinking that my nitrate test will show this when it might not... Am I going about this the right way dosing nitrogen fert to see a raise in nitrates? Thanks.

The problem IMO with dosing directions on these types of products is "one size does not fit all". Meaning each tank has different needs based on various factors such as amount of light, CO2, how many plants, all which affect how much nitrates (and other nutrients) are needed. I think you need to try doubling, then tripling, etc., your dosings until you find the amount you need for your tank to have the proper amount of ppm's. If your having this issue you might want to look into dry ferts.

Be careful not to confuse nitrogen and nitrate. Seachem Nitrogen uses a blend of nitrogen containing compounds, including complexed ammonia (whatever that means), urea, and nitrates. Seachem has published an equation for this:

Volume needed to add (in mL) = .25 * Tank Volume (in gal) * Desired Increase in nitrogen (ppm).

To convert this to equivalent nitrate ppm, you change the equation as such:

Volume needed to add (in mL) = .06 * Tank Volume (in gal) * Desired Increase in nitrate (ppm)

Nitrate salts are a little simpler to work with. If your're planning on dosing nitrogen for any extended length of time, consider purchasing dry ferts.

Last edited:
Interesting fact, it costs 44 cents of just nitrate (at $3/lbs) to make the equivalent of Seachem's $10 500 mL Nitrate solution, according to the math provided by Seachem.

using the math formulas I have this

My tank is 120 gallons and I want to do a bump up of 10 ppm nitrate which will require 72 mL of seachem nitrogen

The math tells me this will also cause the nitrogen to raise 2.4 ppm in the tank since they're directly related.

New question is does raising the nitrogen (which seems unavoidable in raising the nitrates using the method I propose) in the tank negatively affect the tank or do the plants consume it fine and it all balances out in the end? Is there a better way to boost nitrates than using nitrogen or is this a fairly common method? I know you suggested nitrate salts. Are these the same as the aquarium salt purchased at the pet store?

Last edited:
The whole "concentration of nitrogen" is mostly just a bookkeeping idea. Basically, 1 ppm of nitrogen is equivalent to 1 ppm of ammonia, 3 ppm of nitrite, or 4 ppm of nitrate or urea. The other stuff in Seachem's fertilizer raise nitrogen by likely smaller ratios. It's really more a quirk of the units that we use (ppm or mg/L). I wouldn't get too caught up in it, as you wouldn't even need to think about it if Seachem didn't like to unnecessarily complicate their products.

All nitrates have nitrogen. Not all nitrogen has nitrates. Nitrogen is just one of the atoms used in nitrate, ammonia, urea, etc. Peachy?

Nitrate salts are a little simpler to work with. If your're planning on dosing nitrogen for any extended length of time, consider purchasing dry ferts.

Every search I do for adding nitrates, including with nitrate salt brings up salt used in salwater reef tanks. Is this what I'm looking for? This is a freshwater planted tank I'm trying to dose.

Thank you both for pointing out what GLA can help with. I think when I clicked the link earlier I was confused by the assortment of ferts but now after reading on their website it seemed like exactly the help I need so huge thank you's!

I'm assuming this is the type of fertilization method you guys use and are happy with?

I was thinking about using the PPS pro method? Any recommendations on if this sounds appropriate in comparison with other methods?

I actually like the concept behind the estimative index as my tank is medium-high light and densely planted (carpeting plants) BUT a 50% water change weekly to reset sounds a bit much for fish to deal with, nor do I want the workload of changing 60 gallons every week. I don't mind 10-20% water changes but 50% doesn't seem possible.

Is PPS pro working for you guys or do you use another method?

I use there fert pack (GLA) and use metricide 14 day (Glut) it's going well so far. I think I'm 2 weeks in, maybe 3 lol not sure I'd have to look at the notes at home. Anyway...

I do 50% water changes weekly anyway so that wasn't an issue for me, but the cost effectiveness, stability, and results I've gotten so far from the dry ferts PPS pro is plenty for me to be happy with it. My plants have all done great with it and I use the metricide as well. The EI dosing just didn't appeal to me, something about purposely overdosing a tank, no matter what it is, just doesn't sound preferable.

EI is based on the idea that if you over dose everything, you won't have to worry about deficiencies and since algae is more associated with insufficient nutrients rather than excessive nutrients (contrary to popular opinion). The recommended dosages assume non-limiting co2 and average light, so you'll have to monkey with it if you don't meet those requirements. It's less effort (ie less thinking involved) than PPS, and ideally little to no testing.

Thanks again for both of you guys great insight. Can I ponder why you were doing 50% water changes regardless of the method? I'm feeling like a slacker now knowing my 20% water changes aren't up to par. What kind of fish do you do water changes like that for or are high water changes beneficial to plants or do you really like to carry water? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom