Double-Bright LEDs - One Year Later...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay folks, I am posting pics almost exactly one year apart of how my tank looks after a year of the Marineland LED "Double-Bright" 48" hood on a 55 gallon tank.

Obviously, there are some additional plants visible in the 2013 pic. Left to Right you will see an Anubias congensis variety, the two original Java ferns on the rock (now huge), with an onion plant behind them. Two decent-sized Amazon swords, the two original Anubias nana plants in the center foreground (They were moved from their position in the 2012 photo), and the trimmed-back but still thriving Crypt of Doom to the far Right, with a small, temperamental Windelov Java in the right foreground.

Many of the usual suspects are still seen swimming around as well :fish2: though some have gone on to their watery reward (RIP Big Red). :bawl:

I am dosing every few days with Flourish and Flourish Excel. Also, I usually put some root tabs in when planting new specimens.

Hopefully this will give some of you an idea of what the LED hood can do, but I realize these are still considered low-light plants. I had tried some hair grass and wisteria which failed to thrive in this set up, so clearly not everybody is happy in this tank.

As far as reliability, all the LEDs are still working and I like the sleek, clean design of the hood. Are they still as bright as a year ago? Can't answer that one. I'm not sure if these things fade out gradually or just crap out one at a time. Overall, I'm happy with the product for what it is and hope this technology continues to improve...and get cheaper. ;)

Attachments

• tank 1-29-12.jpg
    tank 1-29-12.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 119
  • tank 1-19-13.jpg
    tank 1-19-13.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 123
I'm glad you posted this as I've heard so much about those lights not being able to support good plant growth. I understand you have low light plants but they appear to have growth beautifully.

I'm glad you posted this as I've heard so much about those lights not being able to support good plant growth. I understand you have low light plants but they appear to have growth beautifully.

Thanks, I've been pleased with the results so far.

Another side note: I think all the plants except the Crypt in this 2013 photo are those infamous Petsmart "Plants in the Tube." I know some folks are sketchy on those, but I think they provide some decent specimens. In my part of the country, our local stores generally have limited and miserable-looking plant specimens available, so the plants in the gel tube have been a blessing for me at least.

I've used those before but the real issue with them is that too many bog, not fully aquatic plants are put in those tubes and many newbies to the hobbies end up buying the wrong plants.

I've used those before but the real issue with them is that too many bog, not fully aquatic plants are put in those tubes and many newbies to the hobbies end up buying the wrong plants.

I have noticed though that they've started using tubes that say fully-aquatic and semi-aquatic on them.

I rarely look at them so that is something new as I don't remember seeing that the last time I bought a tube plant.

Sorry to hijack the thread, your tanks look awesome! There is a night and day difference! I just picked up a crypt wendtii from petsmart tonight, Not in the tube but it was one in a bag above the tube ones, I'm hoping it does well. It came with 4 little plants for 8 bucks, didn't think it was a bad deal at all!

Good to see the results in your tank!! My wife just put a DB on a planted ten Nd it's going nuts!! I just assumed to was do to tank height but your tank ends that argument!

I have been going back and forth about this light. Another member on here I have been talking with said he didn't like it but for some reason I feel drawn to this light lol. Gorgeous tank and thanks for the post. I think I am going to get it today.

Just ordered my double bright led lights. We will give them a run and see how they work.

Back
Top Bottom