Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish.OG87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got this nice piece of dw for my 36g bf. Need some help on what to do before i introduce this into my tank.
I dont have a big enough pot to boil the driftwood in so I have been soaking it in my 5g bucket with boiling/hot water and changing water everytime the water gets cold for 2 days now.
How long do i have to do this for before i can put it in my tank??
Or is there anything else i need to add to this procedure.

I think that all the bacteria is dead all you would want to do now is male sure all the tannins are out unless you're okay with some tinted water which will slightly affect your ph. But if you're okay with that then you can put it in:)

I think that all the bacteria is dead all you would want to do now is male sure all the tannins are out unless you're okay with some tinted water which will slightly affect your ph. But if you're okay with that then you can put it in:)

Tannins? em no not really. Id rather have no tea like color water...how long does that take to remove tannins?

Depends on the piece. I boiled mine 6 times and soaked it for a month and it still leeched tannins for 3 months in my tank. Some are super quick though, like I said it depends.

Depends on the piece. I boiled mine 6 times and soaked it for a month and it still leeched tannins for 3 months in my tank. Some are super quick though, like I said it depends.

what i might have to do is just stick the dw in the tank, and use a carbon filter and maybe an extra pwc during the week until the tannins is gone...ugh

I used filter floss and it did wonders to remove the tannins. I have crystal clear water now. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom