Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9ujy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can any wood be put in water and work?or do u have HAVE to have a certain kind

Driftwood is basically driftwood...maybe I'm not understanding the question? When you say work, if you mean leach tannins, you can buy the ones from the store as those will leach tannins since they haven't drifted and leached anything yet.

Wood that has very low density will rot and dirty up your Aquarium. I've read around here that some people find their own Driftwood, but you have to know what type of Wood your looking (i've heard Oak wood is one type). If you want to play it safe like i did, i'd just some store driftwood. My LFS had some for 5$ and i bought a rather nice piece for my Aquarium.

Driftwood Question

Good morning 9...

The best driftwood quality and price wise are the pieces you pick up at the local river or lake areas. You want to look for the pieces that have been out of the water for months, if not years and are completely dry. These will be free of any disease causing bacteria.

Getting the pieces tank ready is easy. A good high pressure spray from the nozzle attached to your garden hose and the piece left to dry in the sun for a couple of days is all you need to do.

The pieces will float, so if you want them at the bottom of your tank, you'll need to pick up some rocks to weigh down the wood. But, this is what makes for a good looking tank.

One more thing, there may be laws against this type of activity in your area, so you'll need to obey the local restrictions, if any.

Have fun!

B

Rebel1970 said:
Has anyone used bark as driftwood? Any comments???? Thanks

I've never used bark. I don't think I would though even if I boiled it. But you could try it. There's a first for everything.

bark is bad as an aquarium decor cuz it will rot same with pine and soft woods.... woods to look for are maple, oak, cypress, basswood, sumac.... some of the wood i have used in tanks just make shure to process it properly befor putting it in the tank cuz the tanis in fresh wood is almost 1000x more then in already dry drift wood

I found this list. I think the criteria is that it is a hard wood. Although I have been told that one type on the list is not hard, but I don't remember which.

1. Manzanita
2. Colophospermum mopane (AKA mopani, mopane drift wood)
3. Chola (cholla) wood
4. Rose wood roots
5. Malaysian drift wood
6. Ribbon wood
7. Cypress
8. Oak
9. Mesquite
10. Cedar - some are iffy on this one.
11. Grapevines - reported to rot quickly
12. Ironwood
13. Beefwood
14. Australian Pine