Driftwood & Algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
There are a couple of pieces of large Manzanita driftwood for my new 72G bowfront planted tank, which have been soaking for 2-3 months outside in my Koi pond and both have some nice green algae growing on them.

I was going to scrub them off before putting them into my new tank, but I like the way it looks.

There are no problems in my 125G starter Koi pond, (that I am aware of).

Can I leave them like they are? If so is there anything I need to know/do? :blink:

I have a few Otos and a baby Albino BN to add in there with Amano shrimp and a bamboo shrimp, plus my community tank fish.

Assuming something else doesn't get tracked in with it, I don't see a problem with leaving the algae on. Your resident herbivores might have other plans though....

I've actually used pieces of DW I've had in my ponds several times over the years, many with a velvety green algae and never had issues. As AquaChem said there are certain fish that may enjoy your pretty algae alot. I will warn you tho that with the DW always came pond snails via eggs or snails too small for me to see at the time and occassionally small aquatic larvae which the fish also happily consumed.

Good, I am feeling better about that. I don't really mind it the fish eat on it. Or all of it, since that is what they do. lol

I think my fish ate the extra snails I put in there I'll see.

Back
Top Bottom