Driftwood Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PWattwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had driftwood in soak for 10 days and the water colour is still bad. What can I do to speed up the process, how long should take.

Please help and fish tank looks so bare

You could try running it through the dishwasher. I've never had any problems with tannins after doing so (without soap of course). If anything, the tannins won't cause any harm, they can just be unsightly to some.

If you don't have a problem with adding activated carbon, that should help clear up the water (but it will also remove other trace elements from the water as well).

I think some people use pollyfil as an alternative to carbon, and it does the same except it doesn't remove trace elements. (I'm not completely sure about this one, someone will comment saying if I'm right or wrong)

Don't have A dishwater, what about if I scrub it, would that damage it?

Scrubbing it wont pull out the tannins. If you have a big enough pot, you can try boiling it. Otherwise, you're just going to have to soak it, or put up with the tannins until they stop leeching

I find putting it in the tub/bath with boiling water over night then drain the water and repeating the process works. Try it for a few nights and see if it works for you.

I boiled mine about 6 times. I let it boil for around 30 minutes each time. Big stock pots could be had on the cheap, imo.

EDIT: I changed the water after each boiling and suffered no tannin release once I put them into my tank. Be aware of what you're buying though. Some DW is not made for aquarium use so check that label and make sure.

Some DW will still leech tannins for months... Even after extensive soaking.
There's only so much you can do. Soaking overnight in boiling, or scalding hot
Water will help some... Just be prepared to put up with some tannins.

I let mine soak in a 5-gallon bucket, changing the water daily. I've had some that stopped leaching after a couple of weeks. Then again, I had one piece that was still leaching after 2 months... Without a dishwasher, your fastest bet is boiling (I dont because the wife would kill me for using her pots to boil DW... lol). Otherwise, let it soak until you are satisfied.

Good luck!

yup, boil, drain, boil, drain, boil, drain.....it's a bit tedious, but well worth it!

Actually it is. Is it a white slime? If so then it should go away after a few weeks.

I am a little late to this (maybe you can use it in the future). I have never done this but it sounds like a good idea... if The DW is small then you can put it in the tank of your toilet (as long as you don't use any of those toilet cleaning tablets) and just leave it there for a few days/weeks.

I am a little late to this (maybe you can use it in the future). I have never done this but it sounds like a good idea... if The DW is small then you can put it in the tank of your toilet (as long as you don't use any of those toilet cleaning tablets) and just leave it there for a few days/weeks.

Wow. That is actually a really good idea.

Or if u have a friend with a dishwasher! Lol I found some DW at the lake and I've been letting it soak so itll sink but the dishwasher seems to do the trick as far as the tannin goes

Problem solved, after a long time I got there. Tank looking better.

Thanks for all ur advice

image-3818438261.jpg

Back
Top Bottom