Driftwood Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone, :D

I have been cleaning my Driftwood for a few weeks now and its completly clean, the only problem is the water I keep chaning out everyday keeps turning brown. Now I have been changing the water out every day for days now and the water still turns brown after 24 hours. Do I need to wait till the water is completly clear to put it in the tank or would it be alright to put it in the tank now?

I don't want any issues with it, I know there is nothing living in it since I have boiled it for over 2 weeks and thrown it in the dishwasher over 4 times lol.

I really want to get it in the tank and if its okay to throw it in now ill be happy with that. The tank is completly planted and a 20 gal with 2 filters (55 gal can and 20 gal Hang). I also do water changes 2 times a week or more about 50%+.

Some woods have more tannins than others so it takes longer for them to finish leaching out.

If you don't have a problem with it turning your water brown, you can put it in the tank now.

I don't mind the water being alittle brown, after awhile do you believe that the water will turn clearer? After waterchanges and such? :)

If you don't want the brown water just order some Purigen. My tank when from tea to crystal clear in 24 hours.

It will leech for a while as stated above. However, it generally dissipates considerably over a couple months or so.

Thanks everyone for the info and help :) the water wont be too bad then I'm glad I got this information more confident to put the wood in now and get the tank going!

Purgin? Is that something that could harm fish if its in the tank? Don't want to kill them :eek:

I believe Purgin is probably like activated carbon. You can put some carbon in your filter if you want to remove the color from the water, but since it doesn't bother you it'll be fine.

Thanks again everyone!

I did go to my fish store today and found the Purgin and it did look like a carbon filter which it seemed like, so if my water gets too brown ill add some carbon to one of my filters and see how it works out. :D

I put the Driftwood in not too long ago and looks great! Just wires holding it all together and down but as soon as moss gets in there sure no one will notice there are any wires :hide:.

Seachem. Purigen

Purigen is a bit like carbon, but instead of removing chemicals it removes bio-materials if i understand it correctly. It defiantly wont harm your fish

Back
Top Bottom