Driftwood Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found an awesome piece of driftwood but it has been stained and used as an art piece. Is it possible to soak it for a long duration to leach our the oils that could harm fish?

Thanks in advanced!

Yes my suggestion is to soak the Drift wood in hot water and let t soak for a few days I have been doing the same with wood I have

Yes my suggestion is to soak the Drift wood in hot water and let t soak for a few days I have been doing the same with wood I have
Thanks. You have soaked stained wood before? I've done this with many other types of wood, but never a piece that someone used stain on. Not sure how long I should soak it to make sure it's 100% safe and chemical free.

I found an awesome piece of driftwood but it has been stained and used as an art piece. Is it possible to soak it for a long duration to leach our the oils that could harm fish?

Thanks in advanced!

I wouldn't use it, and I would think even if you could soak and or boil it it would take more than a few days. Those stains and most paints are highly toxic as far as I know. It would have to be the worlds most perfect piece of driftwood for me to risk it. Even a hint toxic oil or paint would at the very least throw your tank into a tailspin. But maybe someone else can confirm...

What kind of stain? Oil based stains are a no go, but acid stains could work. At least they wouldn't necessarily be super toxic.

Back
Top Bottom