Drop checker and film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a thick gelatinous film on the inlet of my drop checker. Has anyone had this before, is it normal, what's the deal?
The first time I discovered it was after I did a bit of a scape a couple days ago. I removed a large piece of driftwood and replaced it with a large piece of petrified wood.
It has greatly increase the flow around my tank, which is a plus. I took the drop checker out, cleaned it and replaced the contents. The film is now back.

By drop checker are u talkin about for co2 levels? The only reason I ask is because I found the same thing in mine. I will be following along to find out also.

By drop checker are u talkin about for co2 levels? The only reason I ask is because I found the same thing in mine. I will be following along to find out also.

Yes, a glass one to be specific. I guess I should have been more specific in my original post....lol

Yes, a glass one to be specific. I guess I should have been more specific in my original post....lol

Mines a plastic Chinese one wish I could afford a glass one though. I don't know what the goo is if I were to guess it might be protein buildup I have a protein skin on the surface of my water do you? And is the "goo" a clearish tan color?

Not that i know of. As long as gas can enter the chamber, you'll be fine. My glass DC has a nice thick layer of protein now. I'm going to clean it soon, just been lazy..haha

It would slow response of the drop checker, but given enough time and stable co2 levels it should reach the same equilibrium levels as if it weren't there.

Back
Top Bottom