Drop Checker question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straick

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got a drop checker(a Red Sea one). Made the 4dKH solution for it, put it into the checker, and added the 2 drops of the solution it came with. Couldn't make out any color, so I added 2 more, and still no noticable color.
Finally, after a nice little search(yeah search function) found that I can use the API standard range pH reagent in place of the liquid it came with(suspect that the stuff it came with is no good).
Put it in, and an hour later, I'm finally seeing a change in color. Is it normal for it to take that long to make a change?
I have the checker at the far end of the tank(10 gallon) from the filter and DIY CO2 injection setup(redid my setup, and it seems to work better now). It still has some flow past it, but I didn't want it artifically high from being close to the injection setup.
Also, how often do you have to replace the solution in the drop checker?
Thanks in advance.

Ok, so the solution that came with it may very well have been bad. 3 drops of the API ph test gives me a nice, easy to see color. As of right now, my DIY CO2 system is in the green area, which going by the pH/kH chart, should be between 20 and 30 ppm.

Woke up this morning, and it was yellow. Guess my DIY system works better than I thought with the new CO2 reactor. Guess I'll have to put the reactor onto a timer so that it's only on during the day(when the lights are on, and of at night.

Ok, so the solution that came with it may very well have been bad. 3 drops of the API ph test gives me a nice, easy to see color. As of right now, my DIY CO2 system is in the green area, which going by the pH/kH chart, should be between 20 and 30 ppm.

i think im having the same problem. did you use the low ph test solution?

Yeah. Think I have a solution for the CO2 increase at night.
Set up an airpump on a timer. Runs at night, and intermittently during the day. I'll have to play with how often it runs to try and get everything nice and smooth. Starting to make me wish that a compressed CO2 setup wasn't so expensive.

Back
Top Bottom