dry fert dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just ordered my ferts from greg watson, and was just wondering if there was any advantages or disadvantages using ppdm from just putting the dry ferts directly in the tank? Seems like most ppl use pmdd from what I've read, but wouldn't it just be eaiser to drop 1/8-1/4 tsp of whatever directly into the tank. TIA

I generally pre-mix the ferts in tank water, just to help speed up the dispersion and keep the fish from trying to eat them.

I mix a solution for each of the ferts. Of course I have very small tanks so it's much easier to dose a solution to get the small amounts that I need than trying to measure out the necessary amount of dry ferts.

I say I dose dry, but in reality I do the same as the others. I add a single dry of each I'm adding to a 16oz. water bottle filled with some tank water, then cap and shake to dissolve. My fish will definitely eat the KNO3 if dosed dry, which probably isn't a good thing long term. For small tanks its almost impossible to measure the dry dose accurately so that making a stock solution is better.

Back
Top Bottom