Dry ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi
I would like to get some better ferts than flourish. But dry ferts seem so much more complicated than I though.
I want it for my 60 g somewhat heavyish planted tank. I have 108 watts of t5 HO I believe, root tabs and flourish weekly. Plants look okay, but not as good as they can.

First, should I have co2 if I go the dry fert route? I've been looking at aquariumfertilizer.com and green leaf aquarium, they seem identical. Question Is, what kind do I buy? I see all these different chemicals like potassium nitrate and all that jazz, but I don't know which ones are needed.

How do I dose them? I heard about the EI method and the pps (I think it is) and the EI seems easier, but not sure. Could I combine these frets into one solution and dose? How often?

Thanks in advance, and pardon my stupidity lol

I'd like to know about this also so I'm subscribing. I've heard of the latter brand, and I think they have some sort of complete package. Have you looked at that? I don't know any more than you do, hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in to help you out :)

blert said:

So, do I mix them together? Or dose separately?
paytertot said:
I'd like to know about this also so I'm subscribing. I've heard of the latter brand, and I think they have some sort of complete package. Have you looked at that? I don't know any more than you do, hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in to help you out :)

Hmm, I have not heard of the latter brand. I should look it up

I bought dry ferts, mixed in bottle so I pour two 5 ml of mixtures into tank each day, micro in one bottle and macro in one bottle. Much cheaper than store bought ferts...I use PPS PRO regiem...google it.

Ok, I'm starting to understand this. So, I will get two water bottles (probably going to buy two of those dosing container things) and I'll mix a certian amount of KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 on one bottle, and Plantex CSM + B in one bottle? Then dose 6 ml of each (or total?) each day. So, should I fill the bottles up with regular dechlorinated bottles? I found a calculator that tells how many grams of each depending on the bottle size.

I'm going to buy this I think: Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums
I'm using this calculator to figure out how many grams of each: https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

There is a spreadsheet that tells you how much ferts to put in to dose a certain amount..for example, my mixtures are for 10 ml per 10g so I can dose each tank the correct amount...55g is dosed 50 ml.

When beginning, I always get green water for about a week. I just change water every day and soon, the system is in balance and now crystal clear water with little or no algae, but I want algae on the glass for my MTS since I have sand substrate so I leave the lights on for 11 hours on my 55g. You will find the point where everything is in balance. Water changes are the key for fish and plants.

There is a spreadsheet that tells you how much ferts to put in to dose a certain amount..for example, my mixtures are for 10 ml per 10g so I can dose each tank the correct amount...55g is dosed 50 ml.
How do I know how much say, potassium nitrate I need though? I found a spreadsheet that tells how much to put in each mixture, but not how much to get to a certain amount.

For 5 ml dosing per 10g...
K2S04 8.85 grams
KH2P04 .9 grams
MgS04 6.15 grams
I do not dose KN03 since I have NitrAtes in water already

other bottle
CSM+B 12 grams

Bottle are .75 liters or 500 ml I think.

It is also a function of lighting...

10g 24 watt per CFL for 9 hours
20g L one 34 watt T5H0 for 9 hours
55g one 34 T5H0 for 11 hours

I am totally sure of my bulbs

For 5 ml dosing per 10g...
K2S04 8.85 grams
KH2P04 .9 grams
MgS04 6.15 grams
I do not dose KN03 since I have NitrAtes in water already

other bottle
CSM+B 12 grams

Bottle are .75 liters or 500 ml I think.

Hmm, I guess I don't need KNO3 either because I already have about 20 PPm of nitrates. I'm going to buy two of those special bottles made for dosing. The calculator I have says I would need this much for a 32 ounce bottle:
K2SO4- 55 grams
KH2PO4- 5 grams
MgSO4- 38 grams
The calculator says MgSO4, but the fertilizer pack contains K2SO4. Which should I buy?

and the micros
Plantex CSM + B- 76 grams.

Does this seem like a right ratio? I would dose 6 ml per bottle, per day right? will this affect my 50% weekly pwc schedule?

Thank you for your help btw :)

Mine is the same..it is all good...I use wine bottles with liquor bottle pours...use what you have...

I used to use root tabs but water soaks into the gravel or sand. I don't use excel either but I do not have high light.

I dose 5 ml per 10g...you want to have the plants have what they need, water changes get rid of the excess. I do water changes every 3 days because I like pristine water.

Okay! That is what I will do then.
couple last questions.
Do I fill the rest of the bottle up completely with water after I mixed the powder?
I dose about 6 ml of each of the two bottles, correct?
Should I buy MgSO4, or K2SO4 instead? Does it matter?
Will one 50% PWC per week be okay with this method

Okay! That is what I will do then.
couple last questions.
Do I fill the rest of the bottle up completely with water after I mixed the powder? Correct, pour powder through funnel into bottle and add water and shake.
I dose about 6 ml of each of the two bottles, correct?
Right, one bottle Macro, one bottle micro...add separetely
Should I buy MgSO4, or K2SO4 instead? Does it matter?
I add both in my mixture..different tanks are different..for example, my 10g grows anacharis like a weed but my 20g and 55g just sustains it.
Will one 50% PWC per week be okay with this method
Just test your water until you see a pattern. I change when water has over 20 NitrAtes.

Careful when premixing... I can't remember which ones they are (and I don't feel like searching it right now) but, if I recall correctly, there are two, that if mixed, will react together and encourage the growth of mold in your bottle.

Just test your water until you see a pattern. I change when water has over 20 NitrAtes.
Thanks!
Careful when premixing... I can't remember which ones they are (and I don't feel like searching it right now) but, if I recall correctly, there are two, that if mixed, will react together and encourage the growth of mold in your bottle.
Ahh, really? I'm going to try and search which ones.

I thought I saw that CSM+B had that problem but was stored with access to sunlight. I have not had that problem but one bottle last less than a month.

I also remember, but may be wrong, that they had problems when mixing all in one bottle.

Back
Top Bottom