Dry ferts help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we all know I got my 75g planted. It's coming along great. Minus a few algae problems... But that's a working progress. I have at least 12-14 different plants in there.

Liquid fertilizer I realize right now is going to be expensive for a tank this size. I've looked up dry fertilizer and how you get more for your money. Got that down pat.

What I'm having trouble understanding is the calculations. There's all these calculators about how to do it but it's all a jumbled mess and is just confusing me.

1. What dry ferts would I need?
2. How do I know how much to dose?
3. How long does a container of dry last vs liquid?
4. Does co2 have an affect on dosing?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426586072.481438.jpg

I have like 2-3 more plants coming in and that's it I'm letting it grow out.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Allright Caleb, let's figure this one out shall we ;)

1. You'll need KNO3, KH2PO4, MgSO4 for your macro solution. And you'll need CSM+B for your micro solution. They are all readily available online and not hard to find.

2. I used this website as my calculator. Super easy and worked like a charm for me:
https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/aquarium/calculators/ei_calculator/
You should really buy dosing bottles, I think 2 bottles of 1000ml would serve you right with a 75g (1 for macro/ one for micro).

3. Well I bought like 250g of each component 2 months ago. I'm guessing this will keep me going for another full year. And it was sooooo cheap it's just amazing (I come from liquid ferts as well).

4. Co2 definitely helps. Albeit liquid carbon (like I do).

If you want more info on dosing schedules or you have a problem with anything, let me know ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Can't go wrong here, a lot of us use this package with great results. http://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...age-with-2-x-500ml-fertilizer-dispensers.html

That's the rig I have too. I've made two batches and used less than 80 grams of the most-used stuff. I've mixed it up so I dose 5 mL at a time. If I measure right, I should get 100 days out of it. You will get less because you have a larger tank. But that's what the calculators are for!

I would recommend getting a bunch of Gladware to store the ferts in when you get them. Cheap, easy, and stackable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@brookster, true that! But the shipping was a bit pricey for me! So I use the same ingredients, except for KSO4. Do you think it's really necessary?

@brookster, true that! But the shipping was a bit pricey for me! So I use the same ingredients, except for KSO4. Do you think it's really necessary?

Absolutely, i feel like that's the number one deficiency in a heavily planted tank. I basically ei dose pot. To keep the plants happy..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Absolutely, i feel like that's the number one deficiency in a heavily planted tank. I basically ei dose pot. To keep the plants happy..

The only deficiency I ever witnessed was potassium. I'm back in using profito now as it contains potassium. Something I wasn't aware of before.

Sam, out of curiosity, have you run a check on nitrates through yet? I'd be interested to see if your pants are using the added nitrates.

Following. Wanta save this one for sure.

As a side note, swords and crypts are heavy root feeders. In an inert substrate they'll need supplemental nutrition via root tabs.

Sam, out of curiosity, have you run a check on nitrates through yet? I'd be interested to see if your pants are using the added nitrates. Advice

No not really, haven't visited the shop in a loooong while now! But everything is still ok, no casualties/odd behaviour and plants flourishing like crazy. Swords are literally growing new plants on runners overnight..

Thanks for all the help guys. Work has kept me from replying.

Is there a tool you guys use to calculate the physical grams ( like a dropper to water) so you can be precise? I don't want to overdo it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Digital scale, they can be had cheap on ebay, you can also ask.one of the kids you no longer talk to from hs if they have an extra lying around;)

Digital scale, they can be had cheap on ebay, you can also ask.one of the kids you no longer talk to from hs if they have an extra lying around;)

My graduating class thinks I've gone freakin crazy over fish ? most won't talk to me anymore lol.

I'll stop by Walmart and get some Tupperware containers and sharpie each for the correct component.

Opinions on the best brand of ferts to get?

Side note should I still dose Flourish Excel every day or will those listed above by F.Sam I believe cover it?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Nice one Brookster123....?

I literally asked the old biker dude if he had one haha.. ask
and you shall recieve... lysol wiped it good!!

Is 2000g enough for the scale or should I go higher?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Dosing a swimming pool man?? 100g. Should suffice;)

Lol well now that you mention it....

I'm sure I'll have some more questions along the way since I've never done dry before.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh yeah.. I asked above but what's the best dry ferts you recommend? I'm willing to pay extra to know that it's going to work and I get what I pay for.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Lol well now that you mention it....

I'm sure I'll have some more questions along the way since I've never done dry before.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Green leaf aquatics offers the ei method (dry) and pps pro (premixed wet). I'd recommend starting with the pps pro, gives you a little more control of what's going in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom