Dry starting 2.2g cube, planning CRS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLine

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone =]

completely revamped my cherry shrimp tank a few days ago and am looking for advice in dry starting as it is my first time doing this. right now the cherries are in a temporary tank. contemplating on crystal reds (their colors will just pop!), but my tap is better suited for neos so i may need to invest in getting RO/remineralizer.

PC03At.jpg

i have dwarf baby tears, anubias petite, flame moss tied to a pico tree, and dwarf hairgrass. using sand, black fluorite substrate, and root tabs.

lighting and CO2: 6500k 8watt wavepoint aquarium light, Excel. along with liquid fert.

1. how long would i have to wait to make sure the baby tears won't float when flooding? i pretty much have them sprinkled on the substrate. not really clumped together.

2. i've noticed a few yellow patches on my flame moss. would it be good to dilute misting water with excel and fertilizer for the moss since it isn't connected with the substrate?

hello everyone =]

completely revamped my cherry shrimp tank a few days ago and am looking for advice in dry starting as it is my first time doing this. right now the cherries are in a temporary tank until i can flood this one.

PC03At.jpg

i have dwarf baby tears, anubias petite, flame moss tied to a pico tree, and dwarf hairgrass. using sand, black fluorite substrate, and root tabs.

lighting and CO2: 6500k 8watt wavepoint aquarium light, Excel. along with liquid fert.

1. how long would i have to wait to make sure the baby tears won't float when flooding? i pretty much have them sprinkled on the substrate. not really clumped together.

2. i've noticed a few yellow patches on my flame moss. would it be good to dilute misting water with excel and fertilizer for the moss since it isn't connected with the substrate?

Nice start, looking good man! I just started a 2.1g rimless build last week myself. Is that a Deep Blue Professional rimless tank?

As for your 2 questions:

1) I have never attempted the dry start method, so I cannot offer too much input/help. From the various threads/builds I've read on the DSM, some wait 1 month, while others 6 months. I think most wait till they feel the plant is propagating and growing well.

2) Again, no first hand experience or knowledge, but I've read it can cause fertilizer burn.

Hope this helps.

Slavo,

yes it is a deep blue pro! i looked up on the their site that it's 2.2 gallons because it didn't show on the box.

for 1, that seems a pretty fair answer. everyone's tank is different so i'll be monitoring/updating my plants' growth.

as for 2, i never knew that fertilizer burn was a thing! definitely will be taking precautions for that.

Wow that is stunning!!!

From hobby to addiction

Wat substrate do u have in the front?

Just some white aquarium sand I picked up at the fish store. to be more specific, the brand is Aqua Terra and it's very fine. I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So it is for planting? The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for the same but couldn't find so I ended up using normal white gravel

From hobby to addiction

It's my first time planting things in sand. It's a very shallow sand bed however. About half an inch. It's aesthetics pretty much because I have gravel right under it since it doesn't really have any nutrients for the plants

Note: don't spray flame moss with diluted fertilizer while doing the dry-start method. turned the tips white, then some brown. I have it back submerged now to help it recover. Tried it once, recovered, did it again to experiment and it seems it causes it to do this. Could definitely be that fertilizer burn as said earlier. Should I bother to cut off the white tips?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427689326.917972.jpg

Other than that it's been growing pretty well.

2 week update!

thanks for you're support everyone!

it's been about 2 weeks after i planted this tank (a long two weeks. i can feel my patience starting to wear thin lol) and there has been significant progress with it! the dwarf hair grass and dwarf baby tears are looking much more green and lush than before and i'm seeing some new leaves/growth on all plants. the baby tears are starting to creep now but i'm not too positive if they are securely rooted into the substrate yet..

user98324_pic68705_1428337013.jpg

top down view
IMG_3263.jpg

i removed the tree because the moss wasn't too happy growing immersed so i have it submerged in another tank for the time being. the moss is now starting to have its trademark growth growing upwards looking like flames. plus it gives me a better view of the dwarf baby tears.

*Question: should i be trimming off the brown tips on the hair grass?

As for trimming, I guess by cutting the dying leaves you would be helping the plant to focus more on new growth.... But thats just a thought..... But I would wait for a response from someone with a whole lot more experience than me? as I'm still brand new with planted tanks lolol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429036792.681764.jpg

Week 3. The dwarf baby tears get bigger every day! but now I have algae growing on the front glass, around some rocks, and on the sand. Green and brown. Is this normal...?

It... is... flooded!

Very happy with the outcome. 4 weeks immersed and 90% of the baby tears did not float.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429557146.095056.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429557177.960294.jpg

Currently overdosing (2 capfuls) of flourish excel over the week to help ween the plants to submerged conditions and cutting back on light hours to promote rooting.

I've been waiting for this to get filled!! Looks amazing! Those baby tears are looking very thick!

Also love that moss on your tree. Is it flame moss?

29g Community

10g Betta

Back
Top Bottom