Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 324
Duckweed!

I just got some plants shipped, and carelessly, I did a quick rinse and tossed some java moss in my tank, I spread it apart to find a MASSIVE cluster of duckweed, it spread everywhere. I scooped out as much as I could, but I'm pretty sure theres some left. What do I do now?!
__________________

__________________
shadowstars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstars123
I just got some plants shipped, and carelessly, I did a quick rinse and tossed some java moss in my tank, I spread it apart to find a MASSIVE cluster of duckweed, it spread everywhere. I scooped out as much as I could, but I'm pretty sure theres some left. What do I do now?!
Yell at the guy who sent you the duckweed bomb lol. That stuff is very invasive and almost impossible to get rid of.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=143
__________________

__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Yell at the guy who sent you the duckweed bomb lol. That stuff is very invasive and almost impossible to get rid of.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=143
So am i just screwed with a tank full of duckweed in a few days?
__________________
shadowstars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstars123

So am i just screwed with a tank full of duckweed in a few days?
Did you pull all the moss out that it was loaded in?

Just picking what you see in the moss wouldn't be enough IMO, you'd want to get all the moss out of your tank and with some luck you might be OK. You said plants, so the other could have it in them too.

I've never had it, but I've read some horror stories about it and I'm sure it's more than a few days for it to get out of control. Keep a close eye on your tank, since I'd think it will get into other plants/decco too. If you share nets or whatever with other tanks, you might want to not do that for a while.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Did you pull all the moss out that it was loaded in?

Just picking what you see in the moss wouldn't be enough IMO, you'd want to get all the moss out of your tank and with some luck you might be OK. You said plants, so the other could have it in them too.

I've never had it, but I've read some horror stories about it and I'm sure it's more than a few days for it to get out of control. Keep a close eye on your tank, since I'd think it will get into other plants/decco too. If you share nets or whatever with other tanks, you might want to not do that for a while.
I pulled oit the moss, but it was too late, it was spread everywhere. So i took out a cup, and a 5 gal bucket, and started scooping...
__________________
shadowstars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstars123

I pulled oit the moss, but it was too late, it was spread everywhere. So i took out a cup, and a 5 gal bucket, and started scooping...
Yep, sounds like it could be a tough go to clear it out. Hopefully someone will chime in with first hand knowledge on how to deal with it.

Good luck!
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South shore Nova Scotia
Posts: 420
What is duckweed sounds intense, read another thread that they said it was a good low light plant for beginners, didn't know it was invasive thank you for the heads up
__________________
dollabill420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mudraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,652
Scoop, scoop and scoop again, shadow.

While the stuff is invasive, it can be gotten rid of. But you have to be more determined than the duck weed.

What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of planted tank?

It's easier to get rid of in lowlight tanks than med or high light.

Duckweed needs a lot of light to get super-invasive.

Quote:
Yell at the guy who sent you the duckweed bomb lol
True, and there should be disclosure if duckweed is included in a load of plants.

The good news is that at least you recognized it as duckweed and took action right away.
__________________
mudraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker View Post
Scoop, scoop and scoop again, shadow.

While the stuff is invasive, it can be gotten rid of. But you have to be more determined than the duck weed.

What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of planted tank?

It's easier to get rid of in lowlight tanks than med or high light.

Duckweed needs a lot of light to get super-invasive.



True, and there should be disclosure if duckweed is included in a load of plants.

The good news is that at least you recognized it as duckweed and took action right away.
I spent about half an hour just scooping out water full of duckweed yesterday, and this morning the surface is free of duckweed. I hope it'll last, but not sure if any of the duckweed is still stuck underwater.. At first I thought it was plantlets from another plant, then I realized what it was, and just scooped out 10+ gallons of water just getting duckweed out.
__________________
shadowstars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
just pull it out anytime you see it, stay vigilant. Or leave it and let it flourish
__________________
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 324
If I leave it in, would it cause a chemical imbalance because I have other plants in the tank.
__________________
shadowstars123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
Not a small amount. If you have a large amount, it can suck up nitrate really quick though. If you just pull it out as you find it, you'll be fine.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
it will soak up nutrients just like any other plant does. If you let it get too thick it will block out the light getting to the plants, but otherwise it's not a big deal.
__________________
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jason7894561230's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Posts: 3,332
I actaully really like duckweed and i did have it in my tank, until i had to tear it down..... then there was none there
__________________
If you ever need help just message me
Have you given Any Thanks lately? If not, do so!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Dividing by 0
Community Admin
 
fort384's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,926
It won't be that hard to get rid of... it does grow quickly, but if you just scoop it out with a net you will be fine. You will see a few leaves here or there for the next few weeks, but eventually it will be gone.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
basketballqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 60
I actually like my duckweed as well... I have had it for about 2.5 months and it is just now starting to cover my 10 gallon tank... I'll just scoop some of it out and let it build again... I have mystery snails and they eat this stuff like it's going out of style!
__________________

__________________
---------
Fish keep me busy why my SO is deployed =)
basketballqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duckweed, weed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: duckweed ldaniel Archive 2 05-01-2011 06:01 PM
Got duckweed? DragonFish71 Archive 11 12-19-2009 12:18 AM
Duckweed? partypalooza5 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 16 04-09-2009 10:32 AM
Duckweed..... jazzyarizona Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 10 05-30-2007 03:32 PM
Duckweed Bearfan Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 06-18-2003 11:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.