Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, one of my plants brought some duckweed along with it into my 72gal, so I decided to play with it. On my little to no motion side I have a jungle of Wisteria that I allowed to grow to the surface at the point the current starts. This has contained the duckweed to the no motion side. Since Wisteria requires little to no light (I've clipped some and put it in my Paludarium under 40 watts with massive success) I decided to not fight it. I do thin it often as well as my wisteria. It's kinda become a neat look. Anyone who has had it knows you never really get rid of all of it, and one small plant will multiply like rabbits, so I decided to enjoy it instead.

Ahh, the joys of duckweed! its in all my tanks now, whether I wanted it or not. It does multipy so rapidly it's hard to believe.

2 things I've found it useful for:

1. Newly set-up plant tanks, it works as an algae buster. My theory is that it sucks up excess nutrients that the algae would feed on, so no (or at least less) algae problems. New tanks are by far the most vulnerable to very frustrating algae attacks.

2. I constantly have excess duckweed, clean it from tanks 2-3 times a week. Goldfish love to eat the stuff, throw the excess from tanks into my pond, the goldfish munch on it. the fact that some remains in the pond, but its not overloaded like my tanks, indicates to me that its a good veggie food for my goldfish!

Since Wisteria requires little to no light (I've clipped some and put it in my Paludarium under 40 watts with massive success)
I shall have to give it a try in one of my low-light tanks, good idea, Bearfan!

Well, I am turning my 5.5 into a total wisteria tank, because I love it. I also had duckweed im my toad tank, the toads loved the cover.

Good call, maybe I'll intentionally introduce some into my toad tank. Did I just say I will intentionally introduce duckweed? I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

Back
Top Bottom