Duckweed & Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I have both in my tank, will it be hard to maintain?

I want both to continuously grow and I will remove excess amounts. Just wonder if they will get caught inside my hob filter or powerhead (which I aim at the back surface glass of the tank to get good oxygenation for my fish at all times).

The duckweed will definitely grow since the surface provides CO2 and it will have direct lighting.

Although the java moss is suppose to be indestructible, it will not get any CO2 (except from the fishes of course) and the duckweed will block out much lighting. Will it stop growing and cause water quality problems? The java moss may get green light since some light penetrates the duckweed.

What do you guys think?

As for it getting stuck in your filter, you could fashion a prefilter with a sponge or stuff the inside lightly with Polyfil.

Duckweed is very prolific. The surface of the water gets covered quickly. Since it floats, there isnt much chance of it getting sucked into the filter unless the top gets churned. The java moss is a different story. It spreads as the fronds break off and spread around the tank. Unfortunately the filter easily sucks it in and can clog it easily. What I found that helped was covering the inlet with the same material that dressmakers use to make veils. It also helps in fry or shrimp tanks to keep from sucking up the young.

Your tank will naturally get 7-10ppm co2 from surface agitation... not sure where you got that it wouldn't have any? Java moss will really grow under almost any lighting.... your best bet would be to tie it down though, to prevent it from getting stuck in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom