Duckweed for betta(or for fish in general)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it ok if I get duckweed for my betta fish? He lives in a 6.6 gallon fluval chi. Will the duckweed grow super quickly and take over the surface, suffocating my betta like so many people have said before?

Is it ok if I get duckweed for my betta fish? He lives in a 6.6 gallon fluval chi. Will the duckweed grow super quickly and take over the surface, suffocating my betta like so many people have said before?

it can grow quickly under the right conditions but just keep up on removing portions to keep areas open for the betta to breathe and there wont be a problem. anyone that had a betta that died from duckweed filling the surface is someone to lazy to do simple maintance on their tank. honestly the betta will probably like it as most bettas prefer not very well lit areas.

Thanks. I'll see if I can grow the duckweed only in a specific spot using a feeding ring, or maybe have it the other way around.

Hello Im...

Duckweed is good water filter as is any floating plant. It won't harm your fish, but it can grow quickly floating close to the light. A better plant for your tank would be Hornwort. It's fast growing, but the leaves are very thin and doesn't block the light very much and is more of a light filter. Your fish will appreciate this plant much more than Duckweed.

B

Duckweed is great. Just thin it out before it becomes too thick and begins to impedes gas transfer at the water surface interface. You tend to get biofilms at the surface around the duckweed when water movement ceases and you really don’t want that.

Back
Top Bottom