Dwarf Baby Tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooklin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im new to keeping fish and this website. My kids got fish for christmas. One got glassfish and the other got a betta. I know, not a good idea but a grandparent bought them and they thankfully get along. Now I am more into it than they are. I have been researching carpet plants and like the dwarf baby tears. I have the fish in a 10gallon with these 2little LED lights on the hood. I know that wont be nearly enough light. I have another ten gallon tank i can use to start the plants and later transfer the fish to.
What i need to know is-
#1-What type of lights do I need?
#2-What type of subtrate is best?
#3-Do i need fertalizer? If so what kind and how much and how often?
#4-How much co2 needs to be used? And is it like a dose a day or a constant slow 'stream'?
#5-What are good plants to grow with these in a 10gallon tank?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I am having trouble finding info on this using google.

Im new to keeping fish and this website. My kids got fish for christmas. One got glassfish and the other got a betta. I know, not a good idea but a grandparent bought them and they thankfully get along. Now I am more into it than they are. I have been researching carpet plants and like the dwarf baby tears. I have the fish in a 10gallon with these 2little LED lights on the hood. I know that wont be nearly enough light. I have another ten gallon tank i can use to start the plants and later transfer the fish to.

What i need to know is-

#4-How much co2 needs to be used? And is it like a dose a day or a constant slow 'stream'?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I am having trouble finding info on this using google.

Im no genius like a lot of people on here but here is what i know.

Eco-Complete is a great substrate for live plants. Many people pour it straight into the tank without even washing it.

If you have a rock or a piece of driftwood Java Fern is pretty easy to grow. You can tie it to them with fishing line or a piece of string and cutting it once the plant is established and growing. Reason is the rhizome can die if submerged in a substrate. That's what I have done with mine in my tank.

That's the other things I can't say with a definite answer without having to consult Google.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Well, dwarf baby tears is NOT a beginner plant. It needs high lighting and co2. Note that liquid carbon is in fact not co2, but it's glut. So unless you plan to invest on a 100+ dollar co2 system, I would not recommend this plant.
But there are lots of plants that will grow in low light. Check out the different types of crypts, anubias and java fern for example :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

What i need to know is-

As stated above is not a beginner plant, but can be done with proper knowledge and equipment.

#1-What type of lights do I need? For a ten gallon you can get away with a finnex planted plus (most affordable), also check out ecoxotic e series, new current plus pro, and build my led.
#2-What type of subtrate is best? ada Aqua soil is best, but you can use eco complete or flourite. (Also flora max) For dbt I would use a finer grain.
#3-Do i need fertalizer? If so what kind and how much and how often? Yes, pps pro from green leaf aquarium is good.
#4-How much co2 needs to be used? And is it like a dose a day or a constant slow 'stream'? A pressurized co2 system would be ideal, aquatek paintball regulator with solenoid Wil do. You would need to put it on a timer and adjust the bubble count to fit your needs. 2 to 3 bubbles per second is a good starting point.
#5-What are good plants to grow with these in a 10gallon tank? If you had all the equipment listed above you could grow whatever you wanted in a 10gallon.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I have had 2 glass fish for 4 years and they have been just fine!! That's not true

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had 2 glass fish for 4 years and they have been just fine!! That's not true

It's what is recommended for most social schooling species. This is what is best for thriving. not just surviving.
I'm giving recommendations from years of keeping fish. I can keep almost any fish alive. But seeing them swim in a group, they act much happier and they often will come out more and be less shy.

Back
Top Bottom