Dwarf hair grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmiller383

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have recently bought a 12 gallon fluval some live plants, sand and a few red crystal shrimp. All I see online is people with crazy set ups with co2 and fertilizer what I'm here to ask is it really necessary to need all this to grow dwarf hair grass or should it grow on its own it's just that these setups allow it to flourish?

I have recently bought a 12 gallon fluval some live plants, sand and a few red crystal shrimp. All I see online is people with crazy set ups with co2 and fertilizer what I'm here to ask is it really necessary to need all this to grow dwarf hair grass or should it grow on its own it's just that these setups allow it to flourish?

image-3326905473.jpg

I have had it set up for a week now all I can notice is that the duck weed has grown about twice as tall as it was when I got it but have not noticed anything else besides that the shrimp love it.

Dwarf Hairgrass needs high light and a good source of carbon to grow, ie Glut, Excel, Co2 booster.

Apparently you should be able to. But their may be issues as the grass grows. It will be harder to carpet and to get it to root. The roots will literally release from the substrate to find an area with better lighting. The CO2 is less of an issue than lighting and can be gotten around with dosing glut/excel. I am also noticing in my tank that while it is carpeting well that some of the newer runners are releasing in mine as some of the taller and floating plants are shading it. Which is why I will be taking a bunch of the plants out. I like the dhg better than I do the wisteria and water lettuce! The dhg will also tend to grow taller rather than carpet in lower light. Dry ferts are IMHO better. My plants look better and are growing like weeds. Hence the shaded plants. You just have to get the balance right. Light, ferts and carbon. But it can be done.

I tried to do it and failed three times. It would just turn brown and melt away. The CO2 makes it a lot easier to grow. I'm not saying it can't be done, but saying I could not ever do it.

Well after about a Month of having it I took tank apart to do it all again and it was still green but no roots and had not grown i have got some new plants this time like amazon swords micro swords and some other thing that you can see in the left side of this picture and all are growing well after just a week about to get me some shrimp for the tank!

Back
Top Bottom