Dwarf hair grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
High light with no CO2 is a recipe for some major algae, unless you're doing a very high dose of liquid carbon.
Dwarf hairgrass carpets best when separated into very small pieces and planted in a checkerboard pattern. Then high light, CO2 and comprehensive ferts will get it going.

I'm currently trying to carpet DHG as well - I'm starting to see it spread a bit.

I'm working with med-high light, pressurized CO2, and I started dosing ferts. From what I've read, you won't see much success without the CO2 or ferts.

Ugh not what I wanted to here.. I have a dirt bottom capt with a gravel and seachem flourite mixture. I'll probably start dosing some ferts. Any good ones out there?

I recently started using ferts, so I don't know how good of a purchase mine was, but I got a PPS kit from GLA. It looked like the simplest method out there.

GLA Fertilizers

EDIT: From my experience though, I think CO2 is a lot more important than the ferts.

Last edited:
In my tank, I have high light and co2. No ferts. My dwarf hairgrass grows wildly. I will remove like a 5"x5" portion and it will grow back within 1 week or so. I would go for a cheap paintball co2 setup. That is what I did. A 24oz tank has lasted me over 6 months and the pressure of the co2 has not gone down one bit. Ferts are not necessary if you have a good substrate and enough natural ferts from the critters in your tank.

79611-albums13736-picture66611.jpg

Grows best with medium to high light, ferts, and co2. I also use PPS-Pro from GLA. I recommend getting E. Parvula as the species of DHG if it's going to be a foreground plant. It stays relatively short and you won't have to mow the lawn as much. DHG is also quite invasive as it will shoot runners below in the substrate. If you want to minimize it mixing in with your other plants, push in some substrate dividers to create barriers. I use those thin and flexible polypropylene plastic cutting boards or placemats. Cut them up with scissors and shove them in out of sight.

Edit: note... if your tank is larger than 20 or 30 gallons, I don't recommend getting a paintball CO2 system or DIY for that matter. Opt for a full size dual stage regulator with a 5 to 10# cylinder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom