Dwarf hairgrass question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOXGM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I'm new to dwarf hair grass and I'm going to try this whole planted tank thing. I have a 36g bow front thats going to be all plants. I have some hairgrass that I just bought running in my AC 110 that I made into a refugium. It's running some intense lighting. Question is what is the hour cycle for this grass. I hear u can just leave the light on 24/7 but idk if the grass would like that or not. The reason for it in the refugium is because my 12 inch red tailed tin foils were eating on them and the patches of grass are pretty small and I wanna grown them good before I put them in my tank. That and after I put my barbs in the 3500g pond tomorrow. Any help/advice/suggestions would be great. Thank u.

Iv know that leaving the light on 24/7 will cause nothing but algae. But I was wondering if maybe 24 hours a day for a few days may give them a boost?

Attachments

• image-2991669216.jpg
    image-2991669216.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3321865458.jpg
    image-3321865458.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-338768370.jpg
    image-338768370.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 164
Wow nice.

I wish i could give you some advice, but i am also new to live plants. Those you have look very nice. Please let us know how they turn out.

Anywhere between 6 and 10 hours can work. I recommend starting low and gradually increasing your photoperiod until you're satisfied with the results. Are you going to be running co2?

Thats an awsome idea!!! I would like to do that on my 36 gallon. Can you post pictures of inside.

The problem with starting out with just dwarf HG and using intense lighting right away is the introduction of BBA (black beard algae). Since you are planning on doing a plant only, I would recommend at least setting up a DIY co2 system. This will encourage the grass to grow and spread using all that light that you have.

BBA in grass can get real bad... Once they get started on those little threads, they basically kill your grasses.

The problem with starting out with just dwarf HG and using intense lighting right away is the introduction of BBA (black beard algae). Since you are planning on doing a plant only, I would recommend at least setting up a DIY co2 system. This will encourage the grass to grow and spread using all that light that you have.

BBA in grass can get real bad... Once they get started on those little threads, they basically kill your grasses.

I have a co2 system.

I just realized you're also from KY, hello NEIGHBOR!! From Louisville here!

+1 on the BBA in the hairgrass. I have been fighting an infestation in my tank. Found out that I was putting in too much in terms of ferts. Ease into your lighting and fert schedule until you find out what makes your tank happy. I had to peroxide the crap out of my tank to get the BBA under control. Still have a few spots of it, but now that I have a good balance of light at 6 hrs a day, the grass is out competing the BBA and things seem to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom